Which Quantum Mechanics Book Combines Rigor and Mathematical Approach?

In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student in computer science who wishes to learn more about quantum mechanics. They are proficient in math and engineering and have some knowledge about physics. A few book recommendations are given, including "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" by Zettili, "Quantum Mechanics A Modern Development" by Ballentine, and "Sakurai" which is not recommended for its lack of mathematical rigor. The student is also advised to read Wald's book on general relativity. The individual giving the recommendations has a background in math and computer science, and prefers texts with a more mathematical approach.
surds
Hello
I am an engineering graduate student , graduating in computer science, I wish to learn more about quantum mechanics.
I am proficient in maths and engineering maths and have a fair amount of knowledge about physics. Please suggest me some books about quantum mechanics, so I can further my knowledge about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba what do you think of Sakurai?

At the level of mathematical rigor you liked in Wald's book, reading Sakurai's account of QM would be annoying.

Don't like Sakurai - to me it doesn't explain stuff at the level I like ie proceeding with reasonably good mathematical rigor from a small number of axioms that are reasonably well motivated. Ballentine does it with two - I won't spoil it by telling you what they are but the first is pretty much a definition of an observable that can be motivated by requiring basis independence and the second from Gleason's Theorem. When you have gone through it pop on a post and I can explain the detail.

If you like Wald (and for GR its my favorite book as well) I don't think Sakurai will appeal - it lacks rigor.

But I have to say I classify my interests as mathematical physics rather than straight physics because my background is math and computer science so texts with a more mathematical take tend to appeal.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles of how particles interact and behave, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies such as transistors and lasers.

2. Who developed the theory of quantum mechanics?

The theory of quantum mechanics was developed by a number of scientists, including Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, and Erwin Schrödinger. It was further refined by Werner Heisenberg, Paul Dirac, and others.

3. What are the main concepts of quantum mechanics?

The main concepts of quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, uncertainty principle, and quantum entanglement. These concepts help explain the strange behaviors of particles at the quantum level, such as existing in multiple states at once and being connected even when separated by large distances.

4. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, whereas quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature. Additionally, classical mechanics does not account for the strange behaviors observed at the quantum level.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has led to numerous practical applications, including transistors, lasers, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and quantum computers. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as solar cells, LEDs, and superconductors.