Calculating Hybrid Parameters for an Inverting Op Amp

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Hybrid Parameters for an inverting op amp and the attempt to get it into the form of an equivalent model. The conversation also mentions the confusion between h-parameters and ABCD parameters, and the use of an ideal op amp and its implications for the calculations. It is concluded that it may not be possible to get a working solution using an ideal op amp. The conversation also touches on the origin of the problem.
Kerren
Hi guys :smile: This question has been bugging me for a REALLY long time so thanks in advance for the help :biggrin:!

Homework Statement

Calculate the Hybrid Parameters for an inverting op amp shown below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45mjldud2ar5pwg/invOpAmp.jpg

And I need to get it into the form of:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vto0ipwtbre7qk/hequiv.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]V_1 = aI_1 + bV_2[/itex]

and

[itex]I_2 = cI_1 + dV_2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gnpycdi3p6g1ys/p1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u7f3109u1i8zoa/p2.jpg

But I got stuck trying to get [itex]I_2[/itex], [itex]I_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex] all in the same equation.

So I redrew the equivalent model to see if maybe there was another loop I could use:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p23mwsbjdmmpbex/p3.jpg

Which lead to the exact same result :frown:

So at the moment I'm thinking maybe it isn't possible to get the second equation?

Here the calculations are if they don't load:
p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's conventional to designate the h-parameters as h11, h12, h21 and h22. Using the letters a, b, c and d invites confusion with the ABCD parameters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-port_network

Is this an actual homework problem?

The h21 parameter is the ratio of the output current (with the output shorted to ground) to the input current. If the opamp is taken to be ideal with zero output impedance, then the output current into a short will be infinite for any non-zero input current, and hence, h21 would be "∞".

The parameter h11 is the input impedance with the output shorted. We can see by inspection that it would be R1+R2.

The h12 parameter is the reverse voltage transfer ratio with the input open circuited. To determine this, we apply a voltage to the output and take the ratio of that voltage to the voltage that would appear at the input; it would be "1". The opamp would fight the application of a test voltage to its output, but that's the definition of h12.

Finally, the h22 parameter is the output conductance with the input open circuited. Since an ideal opamp has zero output impedance, h22 will be "∞".

Using h parameters with this circuit wouldn't be appropriate if the opamp is ideal. I would assume a small output impedance (call it Ro); then h21 and h22 wouldn't be "∞", and you wouldn't have the fighting voltage source problem when applying the test voltage to the output to determine h12.

Thank you!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the response :biggrin:!

I originally had [itex]R_o[/itex] in my calculations but since the op amp is ideal I had to make it equal to zero :smile: With [itex]R_o[/itex] in the mix I did have another loop but my problem there was that I was introducing a variable that was not given in the question so I'd have to try to get it in terms of [itex]I_1[/itex], [itex]V_1[/itex], [itex]I_2[/itex] or [itex]V_2[/itex] which also didn't seem practical. Since having an [itex]R_o[/itex] that isn't zero implies that the op amp isn't ideal I decided I'd have to try another route!

It was never stated in the question that it was possible to get a working solution, so I can argue that it is, in fact, impossible using an ideal op amp :biggrin:

Your explanation makes perfect sense, thank you very much for your time and effort :smile:!

I'm interested to know a few things about this. Is this a problem given to you in a college level course? What college?

Did this problem come from a text, or did the Prof make it up? If from a text, what text?

I've PMed you all the details :)!

Our Professor made this one up :D!

1. What is an inverting op amp?

An inverting op amp is a type of operational amplifier that has a negative feedback loop, causing the output signal to be the inverse of the input signal. This means that if the input signal increases, the output signal decreases, and vice versa.

2. Why do we need to calculate hybrid parameters for an inverting op amp?

Calculating the hybrid parameters for an inverting op amp allows us to understand and analyze the behavior and performance of the circuit. These parameters help us determine the gain, input and output impedances, and frequency response of the op amp.

3. What are the hybrid parameters for an inverting op amp?

The hybrid parameters for an inverting op amp are the input resistance (Rin), output resistance (Rout), voltage gain (Av), and current gain (Ai). These parameters are used to describe the behavior of the op amp and can be calculated using specific equations.

4. How do you calculate the hybrid parameters for an inverting op amp?

To calculate the hybrid parameters, we can use the following equations:

Rin = R1 + R2

Rout = R2

Av = - R2/R1

Ai = - R2/R1

Where R1 and R2 are the resistances of the input and feedback resistors, respectively.

5. What factors can affect the hybrid parameters of an inverting op amp?

The hybrid parameters of an inverting op amp can be affected by several factors, such as temperature, power supply voltage, and component tolerances. Additionally, the frequency of the input signal can also have an impact on the parameters, particularly the voltage and current gains.