Question about eddington luminosity

• Thread starter seeker7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Luminosity
In summary, when an object with any mass has a luminosity greater than the Eddington limit, the radiation force will overpower the gravitational forces and push away any nearby particles, causing the object to shed its outer layers. This is why it is called the Eddington limit.
seeker7
I have a question regarding the Eddington limit. My question is, an object with any mass has luminosity greater than the Eddington limit. What will happen to a small particle in the nearby region of the object?

I believe the small particle will be pushed away by radiation force because it will overpower the gravitational forces pushing it inward, but I am not sure. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
seeker7 said:
I believe the small particle will be pushed away by radiation force because it will overpower the gravitational forces pushing it inward, but I am not sure. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Yes, that is precisely why it's called the Eddington limit. When it is exceeded, the star (or whatever) will shed its outer layers since the radiation force exceeds the gravitational force. Any nearby particles would suffer the same fate.

1. What is the Eddington luminosity?

The Eddington luminosity is the maximum amount of energy that a star can release before the radiation pressure exceeds the gravitational force holding the star together. It is named after astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington, who first calculated this limit in the 1920s.

2. How is the Eddington luminosity calculated?

The Eddington luminosity is calculated using the Eddington limit equation, which takes into account the mass of the star and the opacity of its internal layers. This equation relates the Eddington luminosity to the Eddington mass, which is the maximum mass that a star can have before the radiation pressure overcomes the gravitational force.

3. What happens when a star reaches its Eddington luminosity?

When a star reaches its Eddington luminosity, the radiation pressure from the intense energy release becomes strong enough to push the outer layers of the star outward. This can result in the star expanding and becoming unstable, potentially leading to explosive events like a supernova.

4. Can the Eddington luminosity be exceeded?

Yes, the Eddington luminosity is not an absolute limit and can be exceeded in certain cases. For example, in the early stages of a star's formation, it may exceed its Eddington luminosity due to high accretion rates. However, this usually leads to the formation of a high-mass star or a black hole.

5. How does the Eddington luminosity affect a star's lifespan?

The Eddington luminosity is an important factor in determining a star's lifespan. If a star's luminosity exceeds its Eddington limit, it may lose mass at a rapid rate and have a shorter lifespan. On the other hand, stars with lower luminosities can have longer lifespans as they do not exceed their Eddington limit and lose mass at a slower rate.