Definition of an oxidizing agent

In summary, the conversation was about a test question that asked whether a certain species, A, was a reducing agent or an oxidizing agent. One person argued that A was an oxidizing agent because it was reduced itself, while the teacher believed that the correct answer should be that A is an oxidizing agent because it accepts electrons. The person is looking for another argument to support their answer.
tomkoolen
Hello everyone,

This may seem like a weird question, but today I had a discussion with my teacher in which I won't give up so easily.

There was a test question that went like this:
"A + 2 H+ + 2 e- ---> B

Use this half-reaction to define whether A is a reducing agent or an oxidizing agent."

My answer:
"A is an oxidizing agent because it is reduced itself."

My teacher won't give me points for this because he feels the answer should be: "A is an oxidizing agent because it accepts electrons." which is exactly the same thing as my answer, except for the fact that my answer uses a term which puts the stress on the fact that that electron acception can be regarded as the reduction of that species.

Could anyone come up with another argument supporting my answer?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't understand the discussion. Question doesn't ask WHY it is an oxidizing agent, it asks WHETHER it is an oxidizing agent. And you answered that part.

What is an oxidizing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that causes another substance to lose electrons, resulting in the oxidation of the other substance. It is often referred to as an oxidant or oxidizer.

What is the difference between an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent?

An oxidizing agent causes another substance to lose electrons, while a reducing agent causes another substance to gain electrons. In other words, an oxidizing agent oxidizes other substances while a reducing agent reduces other substances.

What are some common examples of oxidizing agents?

Some common examples of oxidizing agents include oxygen, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, and potassium permanganate. These substances are often used in chemical reactions to oxidize other substances.

How do oxidizing agents affect metals?

Oxidizing agents can cause metals to corrode or rust. This is because the oxidizing agent reacts with the metal, causing it to lose electrons and form an oxide layer on the surface.

What are the uses of oxidizing agents?

Oxidizing agents have a wide range of uses in various industries, including bleaching, disinfection, and combustion. They are also used in the production of various chemicals and materials such as plastics and explosives.