Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35

• Thread starter bibincjoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary: Thank you again.In summary, the equation provided in the conversation is used for finding the resistance at different temperatures, specifically for busducts. The equation takes into account the design rating current (Io) and the actual load current (I) to calculate the resistance at a given temperature. The value "55" in the equation is used to blend two conditions and may vary depending on the ambient temperature. The equation can be modified to find the resistance at different temperature rises and takes into consideration the ambient temperature and the design rating resistance (Ro). The equation is based on the Callendar van Dusen equation and can be used for metallic conductors.
bibincjoy
Please explain the below:
Resistance@95 =R@35 x (1+α*(95x(I/Io)²+20))/(1+75x α) at the actual current A (I Act).

Engineering news on Phys.org
bibincjoy said:
Please explain the below:
Resistance@95 =R@35 x (1+α*(95x(I/Io)²+20))/(1+75x α) at the actual current A (I Act).

Welcome to the PF.

Why don't you start by telling us what you know about that equation. :smile:

I know the basic equation to find resistance at different temp from the following:

R@T2 = R@20(1+a@20(T2-20),

where,
"T2" is the temperature at which the new resistance to be found,
"a" (alpha) is the temperature coefficient @ 20deg C (0.00393)

I am trying to understand the posted equation as it was found in a voltage drop calculation sheet for Busduct.

I would like to know "(95x(I/Io)²+20))" this part. whether 95 is the "T2" temperature if so, how that "+20" came there.

Reply would be highly appreciated.

Is this a question about the resistance of metallic conductors at different temperatures ?

Please post a link to the “voltage drop calculation sheet for Busduct” you are using.

Voltage drop sheet link

Baluncore said:
Is this a question about the resistance of metallic conductors at different temperatures ?

Please post a link to the “voltage drop calculation sheet for Busduct” you are using.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyz406zpowrw2wy/VD for PF .pdf

We now have the definitions for most of the terms in the equation.
We do not know what the symbol Io refers to. Maybe it is the design rating current?
It seems that the 35 and 95 are probably conductor temperatures 35°C and 95°C.

You were unable to understand the equation given the “Voltage drop sheet”.
At PF we are only human, like you, we need more information or context from the manufacturers website.
Where did you get the “Voltage drop sheet” page from ?

If you cannot give us a link to the manufacturers website, then we can only guess and you will need to direct your question to the equipment supplier.

Baluncore said:
We now have the definitions for most of the terms in the equation.
We do not know what the symbol Io refers to. Maybe it is the design rating current?
It seems that the 35 and 95 are probably conductor temperatures 35°C and 95°C.

You were unable to understand the equation given the “Voltage drop sheet”.
At PF we are only human, like you, we need more information or context from the manufacturers website.
Where did you get the “Voltage drop sheet” page from ?

If you cannot give us a link to the manufacturers website, then we can only guess and you will need to direct your question to the equipment supplier.

Thank you for your guess. I searched the web for this equation; all i found was the standard equation. Wanted to know whether is there any standard equation like R@T2 = R@20(1+α@20(T2-20).

As you mentioned "Io" is the rated design current and "I" is the actual load current.

Attached is another version of the bus duct equation, downloaded from;
http://furutec.com.my/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/standard09.pdf

The equation boils down to the following;
Code:
         1 + a * ( 55 * ( I/Io )^2 + 20 )
R = Ro * --------------------------------
         1 + a * ( 55              + 20 )
The 75 = 55 + 20 is being used to blend two conditions.
Your original version of the equation seems confused?

Attachments

• standard09.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 385
Likes 1 person
Looks like the 95 in your equation was from a typo in the original document. It should be 55.

Wanted to know whether is there any standard equation like R@T2 = R@20(1+α@20(T2-20).

read up on "Callendar van Dusen" equation
http://static.elitesecurity.org/uploads/2/6/2694332/CalVan.pdf

alpha is the slope at some particular temperature

and your term, (95x(I/Io)²+20))/(1+75x α),

appears to be modifying alpha for some different starting temperatureWhile most explanations of Callendar focus on platinum resistance thermometry, it's a really handy bit of algebra. When you can convert the quadratic coefficients A B and C into [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] of eq(6) in that link , you've got it.

now - at zero current your equation reduces to
Resistance@95 =R@35 x (1+α*(95x(I/Io)²+20))/(1+75x α)
= R@35 x (1 + 20[itex]\alpha[/itex])/(1+75[itex]\alpha[/itex])
= R@35X(1.0786)/(1.29475)
= 0.833R@35which doesn't make much sense unless there's active cooling of that duct.
so check my arithmetic...

I suspect a misplaced paren.OOps i see Baluncore fixed it while i was typing !

oh well as Sophie says, cross posts mean it's an interesting topic.
I learned something about bus duct - thanks, guys

old jim

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you everyone for the reply. And its getting interesting. Sorry to go further, becoz i would like to have a proper idea behind that equation.

I am attaching few docs for your reference, which i found in the web, which shall be useful to you all.

>>> supporting doc for R@t2 = R@20(1+α(t2-20). https://www.dropbox.com/s/41oadn016oea1su/The temperature coefficient of resistance of copper.pdf
>>> load-temperature correction factors.

I would like to know whether the value "55" shall change based on ambient temp. As per IEC the max temp rise allowed for busducts is 105degC, if so, for an operating temp of 50degC, the value "55" remains OK; provided we put the resistance value Ro as the R@50 deg C.

Based on the equation,

R = Ro * (1 + a * ( 55 * ( I/Io )^2 + 20 ))/ (1 + a * 75)

can we conclude that the "R" is the resistance at 95 deg rise at load current at an ambient temp of 50deg C, again the value Ro has to be R@50.

If so, i think my equation also is correct as

R = R@20 * (1 + a * ( 105-20) * ( I/Io )^2 + 20 ))/ (1 + a * 75)

as here we put the Ro as R@20 considering the ambient temp to be 20degC.

Please comment.

Attachments

• Load- Temperature Correction factors.pdf
    264 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

1. What is Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35?

Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 refers to the change in resistance from 35 degrees Celsius to 95 degrees Celsius. It is a measure of how much the resistance of a material changes as the temperature increases.

2. How is Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 calculated?

Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 is calculated by taking the resistance at 95 degrees Celsius and subtracting the resistance at 35 degrees Celsius.

3. Why is Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 important?

Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 is important because it can provide valuable information about the thermal properties of a material. It can also help determine the suitability of a material for use in different temperature conditions.

4. How does temperature affect resistance?

Temperature affects resistance because as the temperature increases, the atoms in a material vibrate more and this causes more collisions between electrons and atoms. This increases the resistance of the material.

5. Can Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 be negative?

Yes, Resistance @ 95 from Resistance @ 35 can be negative if the resistance at 35 degrees Celsius is higher than the resistance at 95 degrees Celsius. This indicates that the material has a negative temperature coefficient of resistance.