What are the Physics Behind the Equilibrium Motor Concept?

In summary: However, as you mentioned, there is still a limit to the output work due to the geometry and materials of the motor. This means that the efficiency cannot be infinitely increased, unlike in a normal motor where inputting more electric energy can result in more output work. In summary, the Butch Lafonte's equilibrium motor is a new configuration that uses iron cores to do the mechanical work, while the electric energy on coils serves as a control signal to manage when the cores interact with the rotor magnet. This results in a motor with a greater efficiency compared to normal motors, as there is no back EMF and the electric energy input is used as an interruptor. However, there is still a limit
Originally posted by Bluelite
Then, I found the patent! Yes, this "perpetual motion" machine has been patented. I now have renewed faith in the idea, and plan to "build-it". It is called the "Permanent Magnet Motor"; patented by Howard R. Johnson on April 24, 1979 (US Patent Number 4,151,431).

ever wondered why nobody managed to "build-it" by now? I mean the patent is 24 years old...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Standard patents mean nothing more than granting the "ownership" right of the patent to the patent submissor(s).
That is, the device DOESN'T have to work at all! A patent IS NOT a government stamp of approval with regards to efficacy. It is a stamp of concept ownership, nothing more!
I have often heard people say "well, it's patented, so it must work"
Not true.
A patent is merely a legal document that describes "claims" which, when afforded the patentee, lawfully excludes others from asserting those same claims on a similar frame without permission from the patent holder. A standard patent has NOTHING to do with whether the device actually works; it is simply a legal recognition of IDEA ownership.