Can I Dig a Hole Straight Down Through the Earth with Google Maps?

• Thread starter hitssquad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole
In summary, a person attempted to dig a hole to China using Google Maps, but ended up in a different part of the world. Another person used the same map to try and find their home, but wound up in a different part of the world.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd end up in the Pacific, somewhere between New Zealand and Antarctica.

tried my luck, i ended up in pacific.:grumpy:

Middle of the Indian Ocean, which is about what I figured. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, you have very little chance of hitting land.

Directly in the center of the indian ocean.

South Pacific here, closer to antarctica than any other land.

closest to austrailia, but in the pacific... what'd be more useful is if they let us dig hole to anywhere, and then gave us the length of the hole and the angle we have to dig at.

okay... I did it again and I ended up off the coast of madagasgar... interesting

I end up square in the middle of the southeastern pacific, maybe about a couple thousand miles off the coast of south america

A few hundred miles of the new zealand coast, figure i could swim that though.

Indian ocean...

lol this is hilarious. All those jokes about "tunneling straight to China" don't even make sense anymore! The opposite side of China is in South America

Pengwuino said:
lol this is hilarious. All those jokes about "tunneling straight to China" don't even make sense anymore! The opposite side of China is in South America
Yep, apparently yet another lie perpetuated by my parents! And to think of all that time wasted in the sandbox trying to dig to China. :grumpy:

Edit: I ended up in the Indian Ocean, a bit West of Australia (just a tad southwest of the westernmost projection of Australia).

Those Google images are also a few years out of date! My building is still a dirt lot on the image, and the new buildings behind me are still woods.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Yep, apparently yet another lie perpetuated by my parents! And to think of all that time wasted in the sandbox trying to dig to China. :grumpy:

They probably assumed you'd want to avoid the core.

Moonbear said:
I used to mess with the other kids while we were digging the hole, and tell them I could faintly hear people speaking Chinese. :biggrin:

Doesn't work on my computer. :grumpy:
I'll have to try at work tomorrow.

Andy said:
A few hundred miles of the new zealand coast, figure i could swim that though.
Getting to the coast is no problem. Getting to the surface is the hard part :biggrin:

Danger said:
Doesn't work on my computer. :grumpy:
I'll have to try at work tomorrow.

thats what you get mac boy!

i end up west of australia in the ocean :( but i do end up in china if i dig from my city of birth lol. tomororrow ill start the digging but ill have to get some tips from the very factual movie "The Core"

Indian Ocean. If I jump in and free fall, it takes about 42 minutes to wind up at the other side.

BobG said:
If I jump in and free fall, it takes about 42 minutes to wind up at the other side.
You could not free fall (neglecting air resistance) through a straight hole in the Earth unless that hole was drilled from one pole to the other.

Kakarot said:
thats what you get mac boy!
No, it's because he has dial-up and an OLD mac. None of those google maps/satellite images worked for me when I was on dial-up, they're just too large of files and never finish downloading. Now that I have cable internet, no problem.

Moonbear said:
No, it's because he has dial-up and an OLD mac.
Negative. The G3 is fairly old, I admit, but I'm on high-speed ADSL. The site came up just fine, but wouldn't display the map.
I'm at work now, and emerged almost exactly half-way between Argentina and the southern half of New Zealand. The water's pretty damned deep, but at least it's warm.

1. Can I actually dig a hole straight down through the Earth with Google Maps?

No, it is not possible to dig a hole straight down through the Earth using Google Maps. This is because Google Maps is a digital mapping service that shows images of the Earth's surface, not its interior.

2. Why can't I see the other side of the Earth when I zoom in on Google Maps?

Google Maps uses flat images to represent the Earth's surface, so when you zoom in, the images will eventually start to repeat. It is not possible to zoom in far enough to see the other side of the Earth.

3. Is it possible to see what's under the Earth's surface using Google Maps?

Google Maps does not provide images or information about what is under the Earth's surface. This type of information is typically only available through specialized equipment and techniques used by geologists and other scientists.

4. Can I use Google Maps to find the exact location of the Earth's core?

No, Google Maps does not provide information about the location of the Earth's core. The exact location of the Earth's core is constantly changing due to the Earth's rotation and movement.

5. Can Google Maps show me what the Earth looks like from the inside?

No, Google Maps only provides images of the Earth's surface. To see what the Earth looks like from the inside, you would need to use specialized equipment and techniques, such as seismology or underground mapping.