Silly Parallelogram Question

In summary: I was using 160 instead of 155. 155 is the correct angle to plug into the cosine.In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant force of two vectors, P (40N) and Q (60N), with P at 20 degrees from the reference line and Q at 45 degrees from the reference line. The parallelogram rule is used to solve the problem, with two different solutions resulting in different answers. The textbook answer is deemed to be correct, with the correct angle to be plugged into the cosine law being 155 degrees. The final answer for the resultant force (R) is 97.726N and the angle (α) is 35.039 degrees.
mpaige1

Homework Statement

Determine resultanat force of vectors P (40N) and Q (60N). P is 20 degrees from reference plane and Q is 45 degrees from reference plane.

Homework Equations

When using the parallelogram rule, should you always start with the lowest angle vector? (like in the bottom diagram of the attached image)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the question using the parallelogram in two different ways and ended up with different answers. Is there a right way to do this?

Solution 1:
P vector, then Q vector with resultant vector starting at tail of P to tip of Q.
Law of Cosines yields,
R = 97.726N
Law of Sines yields,
Angle A = ∠15.039
alpha = ∠20 + ∠15.039 = ∠35.04

Solution 2:
Q vector, then P vector with resultant vector starting at tail of Q to tip of P.
Law of Cosines yields,
R = 98.542N
Law of Sines yields,
A = ∠7.9803
alpha = ∠45 - ∠7.9803 = ∠37

Diagram attached.

Physics news on Phys.org
mpaige1 said:

Homework Statement

Determine resultanat force of vectors P (40N) and Q (60N). P is 20 degrees from reference plane and Q is 45 degrees from reference plane.
You say "reference plane" which implies three dimensions. But in that case, there are an infinite numbers of candidates for P and an infinite number of candidates for Q. I will assume this is a two dimensional problem and you mean "reference line".

Homework Equations

When using the parallelogram rule, should you always start with the lowest angle vector? (like in the bottom diagram of the attached image)
Do you understand why it is called the "parallelogram" rule? A parallelogram has four sides, two of which represent P and two which reresent Q- it doesn't matter which you "start with".

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the question using the parallelogram in two different ways and ended up with different answers. Is there a right way to do this?

Solution 1:
P vector, then Q vector with resultant vector starting at tail of P to tip of Q.
Law of Cosines yields,
R = 97.726N
It's impossible to say what you might have done if you don't say what you have done! Here, you have a triangle with two sides of lengths 40 and 60 and angle between them of 140 degrees. Applying the cosine law I do NOT get 97.726.

Law of Sines yields,
Angle A = ∠15.039
alpha = ∠20 + ∠15.039 = ∠35.04

Solution 2:
Q vector, then P vector with resultant vector starting at tail of Q to tip of P.
Law of Cosines yields,
R = 98.542N
Law of Sines yields,
A = ∠7.9803
alpha = ∠45 - ∠7.9803 = ∠37

Diagram attached.
All I can say is I get a completely different answer. I can't say what you are doing wrong. I presume you know that the cosine law says that [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2abcos(C)[/itex]. The fact that that is "symmetric" in a and b should tell you that it doesn't matter which side you call "a" and which side you call "b". What angle do you have between the two vectors?

Sorry, I used the wrong value for the angle in cosine. It should have been 155 and I used 160. This should be correct, the textbook I'm working from has the same as their answer. It could be wrong but I doubt it.

Here's the complete walkthrough of the problem:

R^2=〖60〗^2+〖40〗^2-2*40*60cos(155)
R = 97.726N
sin(A)/40 = sin(155)/97.726
A = 9.9612
alpha = 35.039

I'm not sure if the diagram I gave is showing up but it should have everything you need on there. No worries guys, it was a stupid mistake.

I would suggest that there may be a mistake in the problem or in the way it is presented, as the two solutions you have obtained are quite close but not exactly the same. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formulas and angles. It could also be helpful to ask your teacher or a classmate for clarification or to compare solutions. In general, when using the parallelogram rule, it is not necessary to start with the lowest angle vector, but it may be helpful in some cases. The most important thing is to make sure you are consistent in your approach and accurately represent the given vectors in your diagram.

What is a "Silly Parallelogram Question"?

A "Silly Parallelogram Question" is a fun and lighthearted way to refer to a mathematical problem or puzzle involving parallelograms. It may not be a serious or practical problem, but rather one that is meant to challenge and entertain.

How do you solve a "Silly Parallelogram Question"?

The solution to a "Silly Parallelogram Question" will depend on the specific problem. Generally, it involves using geometric properties of parallelograms such as angle relationships, side lengths, and symmetry. It may also require creative thinking and problem-solving skills.

Can "Silly Parallelogram Questions" be used for educational purposes?

Yes, "Silly Parallelogram Questions" can be a fun and engaging way to introduce students to mathematical concepts and practice problem-solving skills. They can also be a helpful tool for teachers to assess their students' understanding of parallelograms.

Are there any real-world applications for "Silly Parallelogram Questions"?

While "Silly Parallelogram Questions" may not have practical applications in everyday life, the problem-solving skills and critical thinking developed through solving them can be applied to real-world situations. Additionally, understanding geometric concepts like parallelograms can be useful in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design.

Where can I find "Silly Parallelogram Questions" to solve?

There are many resources available online for "Silly Parallelogram Questions" including websites, math forums, and puzzle books. You can also come up with your own "Silly Parallelogram Questions" by playing with different properties and relationships of parallelograms.