Finding the point of intersection between two curves

In summary, the two curves r1(t) = <t, 1 - t, 3 + t^2> and r2(s) = <3 - s, s - 2, s^2> intersect at the point (1, 0, 4). To find the angle of intersection, we take the derivatives of each function and use the dot product to find the angle between the tangent vectors at the point of intersection. The correct angle is pi/6, or 30 degrees.
jheld

Homework Statement

At what point do the curves r1(t) = <t, 1 - t, 3 + t^2> and r2(s) = <3 - s, s - 2, s^2> intersect? Find their angle of intersection correct to the nearest degree.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set t = 3 -s
1 - t = s - 2
3 + t^2 = s^2

I got s = s and t =t, and I should of course assume so, but I wasn't able to find their exact numerical values.

Then I thought to differentiate both functions and see about that.
1 = -1, they don't equal
-1 = 1, they don't equal
2t = 2s, take out the 2, and t = s, but they don't from the previous two equations.

Also I am not sure how to calculate the angle. I realize I would use some inverse trigonometric function, but I am not sure how to get to that step.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first two equations are basically the same, they just tell you t=3-s. Put that into the third equation. So 3+(3-s)^2=s^2. You should be able to solve that for s.

Okay. I found t = 3 - sqrt(6) and s = sqrt(6)
So, what do I need to do to calculate the angle?

You'd better show how you found those values, because it's not correct. Once you've found the correct point you find the tangent vectors at that point and use the dot product.

Well, I understand why it's wrong, because I ended up making an illegal mathematical move changing (3-s)^2 to (9 - s^2), which doesn't work. I can't find the right value for s. all i get is that 12 = 0. (s^2 - s^2).
I had:
3 + (3 - s)^2 = s^2.

(3-s)^2=(3-s)*(3-s)=9-6s+s^2. Multiply it out.

Okay. I did that, got t = -1, and s = 2.
then I took the derivatives of each function, and then took the dot product and solved for theta.
I got theta = 164.21 degrees.
cos^-1(-10/sqrt(108))

jheld said:
Okay. I did that, got t = -1, and s = 2.
then I took the derivatives of each function, and then took the dot product and solved for theta.
I got theta = 164.21 degrees.
cos^-1(-10/sqrt(108))

I get s=2, t=+1. Can you show more steps in your solution if you want us to check it?

I also got s = 2 and t = 1. <<< so what is the point of intersection (1,2)??

Where do i go from here to get the angle of intersection?

r1'(t) = < 1, -1, 2t>

r2'(s) = <-1, 1, 2s>

solving for t and s, I got t = 1 and s =2.

I assume I have to put t and s into r1'(t) and r2'(t)?

so, r1'(t) = < 1, -1, 1> and r2'(s) = < -1, 1, 4>.

I used the dot product to find the angle between two vectors.

cos∅=(<1,-1,1> ∙ <-1,1,4>)/(√(3 ) ∙ √18)

and ∅ =74.2068 degree.

can anyone confirm if it is correct?

donald1403 said:
r1'(t) = < 1, -1, 2t>

r2'(s) = <-1, 1, 2s>

solving for t and s, I got t = 1 and s =2.

I assume I have to put t and s into r1'(t) and r2'(t)?

so, r1'(t) = < 1, -1, 1> and r2'(s) = < -1, 1, 4>.

I used the dot product to find the angle between two vectors.

cos∅=(<1,-1,1> ∙ <-1,1,4>)/(√(3 ) ∙ √18)

and ∅ =74.2068 degree.

can anyone confirm if it is correct?

That seems fine to me.

sorry. one more question.. i did this problem based on what you said above..

when i use the dot product, i use the derivative r1 and r2. why can't i use just r1 and r2? what would be the different? if i just plug t=1 and s=2 into r1(t) and r2(t), the angle of intersection would be different?

can u explain a lil bit?

r1(t) and r2(s) are points on the curves. In fact, you found the intersection so r1(1)=r2(2), right? The angle between the two curves at that point is the angle between their tangent vectors, isn't it? "Tangent vector" = "derivative".

so how do i write the point of intersection. can i write that in (x,y) form like (1,2) or (2,1) or I just write down that the two curves intersect when t =1 and s =2?

Now you are confusing me. r1(1)=(1,0,4), r2(2)=(1,0,4). THAT'S the point of intersection. They are three dimensional vectors, aren't they? Just put t=1 and s=2 into the original formulas. 1 and 2 are just the values of the t and s parameters. They aren't components of points on the curves. What are you thinking??

arrr.. sorry to confuse you.. i got it... i guess i m jz going crazy with the test tomorrow.. anyway thanks again for your help...

I believe your angle is wrong. Check the derivate of r1'(1)= <1,-1,2t>, thus giving a vector of <1,-1,2> not <1,-1,1>. The angle comes out to pi/6.

What is the point of intersection between two curves?

The point of intersection between two curves is the coordinate at which the two curves intersect or cross each other.

How can I find the point of intersection between two curves?

To find the point of intersection between two curves, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. First, solve one of the equations for one of the variables. Then, substitute the resulting expression into the other equation and solve for the remaining variable. This will give you the coordinates of the point of intersection.

Can two curves have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, two curves can have more than one point of intersection. This occurs when the two curves cross each other more than once.

What if the two curves do not intersect at all?

If the two curves do not intersect at all, it means that they are parallel to each other and will never cross. In this case, there is no point of intersection.

Is there a way to find the point of intersection between two curves without graphing?

Yes, there are algebraic methods for finding the point of intersection between two curves without graphing. These include the method of substitution or elimination, as well as using a graphing calculator or software to solve the equations.