Is time in essence - constant?

In summary, CraigD believes that time is not constant and therefore time travel to the past is not possible.
Why can't time be constant? It moves regularly and is slowed by speed. Time allows movement, and movement slows time. Am I correct or have I made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
filegraphy said:
Why can't time be constant? It moves regularly and is slowed by speed. Time allows movement, and movement slows time. Am I correct or have I made a mistake?

Well, it's only variable with respect to a moving inertial frame. An observer in an inertial frame at rest with respect to a clock experiences a constant rate of time, which incidentally is the maximum. I would observe a clock in a moving frame to be running at a "slower" rate of time, i.e. more time would elapse in my frame than in the moving frame. The word relativity is a really accurate term in describing such observed phenomena. lol. Einstein showed it's utterly useless to assign some sort of absolute solar, galactic, or universal standard of time since we would all experience, or rather observe, different rates of time depending on our relative inertial frames. I'm discovering that I think relativity is something I'd want to study more at the graduate level. I've been trying to figure out something in which to specialize beyond my undergrad.

Yeah that makes more sense now. Well put. Thanks.

What we perceive as time varies with energy density/velocity. However, our rate of time could just be a one dimensional projection of a multi-dimensional concept, where the magnitude of multi-dimensional time is constant.

First, hello, all! I hope I am at home here.

I, as well, firmly believe time is constant. Someone likened it unto a scale previously- and that is exactly what it is. Time only exists in that we have concieved it as a measuring scale for comparison of places or events. That is- it is a figment of our imagination. Perception of time is so easily confused with true time which is the duration of an event or object in its environment acted on by the sum of all vectors. --King Wildog

*performs thread necromancy ritual*

King Wildog said:
Perception of time is so easily confused with true time which is the duration of an event or object in its environment acted on by the sum of all vectors. --King Wildog
I disagree with your definition of "true time" because it uses the term duration which implies a perception of time. Don't worry I'm not calling you out, I am just using your post as the segue to my argument of the thread's topic.

All time is relative. There is no objective reference that we can point to and say it is how we can measure time as a constant. In effect it really doesn't exist.

How can we then be sure that anything we measure is accurate? Is the speed of light constant in a vacuum? You cannot accurately measure the speed of anything because speed is the measurement of distance traveled through time. Since we don't have accurate/constant time, we can't have accurate speed.

All equations involving time are thus negated.

SR becomes CR(Circular Relativity)

Am I missing something? Please tell me I'm wrong about this.

<h2>1. Is time really constant?</h2><p>The concept of time being constant is a subject of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that time may be relative and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. However, for practical purposes, we consider time to be constant in our everyday lives.</p><h2>2. How do we measure time?</h2><p>Time is typically measured using a clock or a similar device that tracks the passage of time. The most commonly used unit of time is the second, which is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium-133 atom.</p><h2>3. Can time be manipulated?</h2><p>While time cannot be physically manipulated, it can be perceived differently based on an individual's frame of reference. For example, time may seem to pass slower for someone traveling at high speeds compared to someone who is stationary. However, this is only a perception and does not actually change the fundamental nature of time.</p><h2>4. Is time the same everywhere in the universe?</h2><p>According to the theory of relativity, time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time may be perceived differently in different parts of the universe. However, the fundamental nature of time remains constant, regardless of location.</p><h2>5. How does time relate to the concept of space-time?</h2><p>Space-time is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. This theory suggests that time is not a separate entity, but rather an integral part of the fabric of the universe. It also explains how time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.</p>

1. Is time really constant?

The concept of time being constant is a subject of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that time may be relative and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. However, for practical purposes, we consider time to be constant in our everyday lives.

2. How do we measure time?

Time is typically measured using a clock or a similar device that tracks the passage of time. The most commonly used unit of time is the second, which is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium-133 atom.

3. Can time be manipulated?

While time cannot be physically manipulated, it can be perceived differently based on an individual's frame of reference. For example, time may seem to pass slower for someone traveling at high speeds compared to someone who is stationary. However, this is only a perception and does not actually change the fundamental nature of time.

4. Is time the same everywhere in the universe?

According to the theory of relativity, time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time may be perceived differently in different parts of the universe. However, the fundamental nature of time remains constant, regardless of location.

5. How does time relate to the concept of space-time?

Space-time is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. This theory suggests that time is not a separate entity, but rather an integral part of the fabric of the universe. It also explains how time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.