Ryder, QFT, 1985, pg. 40, Eq. (2.69) K = sigma?

• Thread starter Living_Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Sigma
In summary: The preview is generated from a copy of the book that I have on my computer. The main text of the book is in a font that is not easily previewable, so the preview does not include all of the text on the pages.In summary, Ryder states that K = +/- i/2 sigma. However, this is not possible since the Pauli matrices are 2x2's and the K's are 4x4's. It is possible that he doubled up on the sigma's, but this still does not explain why K_x != sigma_x, etc.
Living_Dog
Ryder, QFT, 1985, pg. 40, Eq. (2.69) K = sigma??

For the similar page in the 2nd edition, turn page 37 at this http://books.google.com/books?id=nn...resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false".

He states that K = +/- i/2 sigma.

How is this possible since the Pauli matrices are 2x2's and the K's are 4x4's. So ok, maybe he doubled up on the sigma's, but still, K_x != sigma_x, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

37 and 38 aren't visible in the preview. There's no K on the pages I can see.

They are different K's. The 4x4 ones are the generators of boosts in spacetime. The 2x2 ones are the generators of boosts in spin 1/2 space. He most definitely did not double up on the sigmas here. He's just using the same letter since they are both generators of boosts.

matonski said:
They are different K's. The 4x4 ones are the generators of boosts in spacetime. The 2x2 ones are the generators of boosts in spin 1/2 space. He most definitely did not double up on the sigmas here. He's just using the same letter since they are both generators of boosts.

Well then, what does this mean?

BTW, I moved on knowing how Ryder makes statements that are clear to him (and strong students) that leaves me in the dark. You know my previous post about the mystery with the [tex]\xi[/tex]? It turns out that the way I described it in the end - as being utterly unnecessary - was correct. He dropped it in the 2nd edition!

So this post is more in the way of a request to make the Ryder text less of a book on magic and more of a book on physics. (NOTE: texts are horrible teachers. They have no room for clearly EXPLAINING the material. I stopped buying books once I realized this. Now I pick one and struggle with it. Also PF is a very big help in this regard. So if no one has an answer then this bit of Ryder will remain in the dark... for me.)

I just checked the link. Page 37 is visible and the equation is at the bottom. Here is a snap of what I see:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6726/ryder2edpg37.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredrik said:
37 and 38 aren't visible in the preview. There's no K on the pages I can see.
Visibility (of free parts of a commercial book) strongly depends on where in the world your computer is.

1. What is the significance of Ryder's equation (2.69) in QFT?

Ryder's equation (2.69) in QFT, also known as the K = sigma equation, is a fundamental equation that describes the behavior of fermions in quantum field theory. It relates the fermion momentum operator to the spin operator, and plays a crucial role in understanding the spin-statistics theorem.

2. Who is Ryder and why is his equation important in QFT?

Lewis H. Ryder is a theoretical physicist who specialized in quantum field theory. His equation (2.69) is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, in quantum field theory.

3. How is the K = sigma equation derived?

The K = sigma equation is derived from the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions in relativistic quantum mechanics. By applying the principles of quantum field theory, Ryder was able to derive the equation (2.69) and show its significance in understanding fermions.

4. What does the symbol "K" represent in Ryder's equation?

In Ryder's equation (2.69), the symbol "K" represents the fermion momentum operator. This operator describes the momentum of a particle in quantum field theory and is essential in understanding the behavior of fermions.

5. How is the K = sigma equation used in practical applications?

The K = sigma equation is used in practical applications, such as in high-energy physics experiments, to understand the behavior of fermions. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum field theories, which have numerous applications in modern physics, including particle physics and condensed matter physics.