Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural

In summary, the individual is trying to do a simulation for a project, but it seems like they are taking one step forward and two steps back. Every time they try to do something, it seems to become more difficult. They have been trying different settings, but they have not had any luck. They are also running out of time, and they need to find a solution as soon as possible.
jmart157
I am and have been trying to do a specific simulation for the last several weeks. It seems like I take one step forward two steps back.

See below:

See the attached files. I'm on Ansys Workbench 13.

www.plastics-consulting.com/rod.stp[/URL]
[PLAIN]www.plastics-consulting.com/tube.stp[/URL]

All I want to do is treat the tube as completely rigid, inside and out. I force the rod down through the tube and see where it comes in contact with the tube ID. You can flush out the top of the rod and the top of the tube section. Essentially the rod should be constrained to the ID of the tube section. That’s it.

The tube should stay rigid, the rod will deflect in order to fit down the curved tube profile. The rod cannot/will not penetrate the tube ID (frictionless). I want to see contact points and stresses.

Looks like explicit dynamics is an option, or static structural.

Both can be treated as steel. I’ve been jumping into Ansys left and right and been doing some very minor valve simulations. This simple concept for this project came up awhile ago. I’ve asked many different people – coworkers, college professors, etc, and no one has been able to point me in the right direction.

Is this over the top difficult?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you implemented some of the suggested settings I mention here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=433240

Those are pretty good settings for sliding contact conditions; the most important are mesh density, and splitting the problem into a large number of substeps.

What you're looking to do isn't impossible, but it does take someone who is a competent simulation engineer who is familiar with the software being applied.

Yes I have, you just posted in the thread that I revived. It is the exact one I was looking at as I feel this is a similar situation.

I have had no success. The convergence line and criterion never meet. I have revised and tried probably 10 times with changing one thing at a time.

jmart157 said:
Yes I have, you just posted in the thread that I revived. It is the exact one I was looking at as I feel this is a similar situation.

I have had no success. The convergence line and criterion never meet. I have revised and tried probably 10 times with changing one thing at a time.

How far is your part moving, and how many substeps are you splitting the solution into?

I'm trying to flush out the top of the rod with the top of the tubing (faces are on the same plane).

Would like to do a substep every 2". If the rod moves 12", then 6 substeps.

JRM

jmart157 said:
Would like to do a substep every 2". If the rod moves 12", then 6 substeps.

No way, you'll need literally hundreds of substeps. I would step the rod every .010" or less, with no more surface penetration than .005-.010". Moving it too far means that surafces are penetrating/interfering with each other, and the nonlinear solver can't find a solution.

Hope you don't mind you computer running ANSYS for a couple of weeks ;)

I'm looking at 8600 sub steps then.

I am aware it will be running for awhile - x6 1100t, fx4800, raid 0 across 6 hard drives, 16gb ddr3. Hopefully that will take this from a couple to one.

JRM

Are you saying I have to do substeps with the rod from outside of the tube and push it throughout the entire tube?

You'll need to start substepping as soon as the rod comes into contact with the tube. No point in doing it before though.

1. What is Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural?

Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural is a type of analysis tool used in Ansys software for simulating and analyzing the behavior of rigid bodies under static loading conditions. It allows for the examination of the structural integrity and stability of rigid bodies in a virtual environment.

2. How does Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural work?

Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate the behavior of rigid bodies. It breaks down the rigid body into smaller elements and calculates the displacement, stress, and strain of each element based on the applied loads and boundary conditions. The results are then used to determine the overall behavior of the rigid body.

3. What types of problems can be solved using Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural?

Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including structural analysis, stress analysis, and displacement analysis. It is commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, and mechanical engineering industries to analyze the behavior of rigid bodies under different loading conditions.

4. What are the benefits of using Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural?

Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural offers several benefits, including the ability to accurately predict the behavior of rigid bodies, reduce the need for physical testing, and save time and costs associated with prototyping. It also allows for the optimization of rigid bodies to improve their structural integrity and performance.

5. Is Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural difficult to use?

Ansys Rigid Body Motion - Static Structural can be complex and may require some training and experience to use effectively. However, Ansys software offers user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help users learn and navigate the software. Additionally, there are numerous resources and support available for users to troubleshoot any issues they may encounter.