Understanding Scalar and Vector in 2-D Uniform Motion Problem

Speed is a scalar (magnitude) quantity and has no direction. Velocity is a vector quantity which has both magnitude and direction. In this case, the boat's average velocity can be calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time. The total displacement can be found by using vector addition to find the resultant displacement. The boat travels 4.50km[E], 2.50km[S], and 1.50km[W], which can be represented as the vectors (4.50, 0), (0, -2.50), and (-1.50, 0). Adding these vectors results in a displacement of (3, -2.50). This means that the boat's average velocity is 1.95km
NeedHwkHelp
A fishing boat leaves port at 04:30 h in search of the day's catch. The boat travels 4.50km[E], then 2.50km, and finally 1.50km[W] before discovering a large school of fish on the sonar screen at 06:30h.

a) What is the boat's average speed.
b) Calculate the boat's average velocity.Solved a) by finding the total distance (8.5Km) and dividing it by the total time(2h).
I got 4.25km/h for my a). Which I have solved.

Don't understand b) at all.. Please help the answer is 1.95km/h[S50E]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try vector addition. Set up your coordinates so that the x-axis corresponds to east-west and the y-axis corresponds to north-south and have the boat start at the origin.

I think you have to understand what is speed and velocity thus you have to know what is scalar and vector.

Different set of mathematical rules apply to scalar and vector example addition.

1. What is 2-D uniform motion problem?

2-D uniform motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves an object moving in two dimensions at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at a steady rate without changing its direction or speed.

2. How do you solve a 2-D uniform motion problem?

To solve a 2-D uniform motion problem, you need to determine the initial velocity, final velocity, and time taken for the object to move from one point to another. You can use equations such as distance=velocity x time or velocity=distance/time to find the missing variables.

3. What are the units of measurement used in 2-D uniform motion problems?

The units of measurement used in 2-D uniform motion problems are distance (meters or kilometers), time (seconds or hours), and velocity (meters per second or kilometers per hour).

4. How do you represent 2-D uniform motion graphically?

In a 2-D uniform motion problem, you can represent the motion graphically by plotting the position of the object at different times on a Cartesian plane. The x-axis represents the horizontal distance, and the y-axis represents the vertical distance.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2-D uniform motion?

Some real-life examples of 2-D uniform motion include a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, a plane flying at a constant altitude and direction, or a ball rolling down a ramp without friction.

Back