Thickness of Graphene: Theory & Measurement

In summary, the theoretical thickness of single layer graphene is one atom thick, which is equivalent to the C-C bond length. However, the exact measurement can vary depending on the definition of thickness and the nature of bonds. Some suggest using the non-bonding p-orbital electrons of sp2 for calculation.
kevinisfrom
Hello,

I was just wondering what the theoretical thickness of single layer graphene is?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
A single layer of graphene would be one atom thick, carbon.

Do you know the answer in Angstroms?

1 Angstrom is .0000000001 meters, carbon is 1.54 Angstroms

a carbon atom is not the same thing as graphene. do you know the thickness of graphene in Angstroms?

A carbon atom is not the same thing as graphene but a "sheet" of carbon atoms is. 1 layer thick sheet of graphene is one atom thick. Wrap it in a cylinder, you have a carbon nanotube, put it in a ball you have a buckyball, stack one sheet of graphene on one sheet of graphene you have graphite. I could be wrong, I am no expert.

Hi Greg, thank you for the reply. Your link is an experimental paper. I was hoping for the theoretical value of graphene's thickness, and also the interlayer spacing between graphene sheets in graphite.

There are sp2 bonds between C atoms. It's different from an isolated atom.

kevinisfrom said:
Hello,

I was just wondering what the theoretical thickness of single layer graphene is?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Thickness is a confusing quantity. You should define how you relate thickness of something with actual length between two particular points in that something.

kevinisfrom said:
There are sp2 bonds between C atoms. It's different from an isolated atom.

kevinisfrom said:
Hi Greg, thank you for the reply. Your link is an experimental paper. I was hoping for the theoretical value of graphene's thickness, and also the interlayer spacing between graphene sheets in graphite.

Again this depends on what is the definition of thickness.

AFM depends on Coulombic repulsion to measure thickness. Its hard to tell exactly where is the surface of the layer. Or how do you define the surface of the layer.

NeedBranes said:
A single layer of graphene would be one atom thick, carbon.

True in a sense. The "thickness" of graphene is one carbon atom "thick".

Thanks for the replys. I know there is a widely accepted theoretical value for the thickness, considering all the atom-atom interactions and whatnot. It's just a number. I understand there is a lot to consider when doing AFM scans, but there should be a simple answer to this question theoretically. I knew it once, but have since forgotten.

kevinisfrom said:
Thanks for the replys. I know there is a widely accepted theoretical value for the thickness, considering all the atom-atom interactions and whatnot. It's just a number. I understand there is a lot to consider when doing AFM scans, but there should be a simple answer to this question theoretically. I knew it once, but have since forgotten.

I can give a very naive answer. Try C-C bond length/2 as the radius of the atom. Then the thickness becomes just C-C bond length. Of course it complicates with the nature of bonds or other elements etc.

Also, you can use non-bonding p-orbital electrons of sp2 for rough thickness calculation. Just take the mean radius of their orbital. But then again it will register different in AFM as after bonding with AFM tip, the electronic configuration might change.

What is graphene and why is its thickness important?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is the thinnest material known to exist, with a thickness of only one atom. Its unique properties make it a promising material for various applications in electronics, energy storage, and biomedical devices. Therefore, accurately measuring the thickness of graphene is crucial for understanding its properties and potential uses.

What is the theoretical thickness of graphene?

Theoretical calculations predict that graphene has a thickness of 0.335 nanometers, which is equivalent to the length of one carbon-carbon bond. However, in reality, the thickness of graphene may vary slightly due to factors such as defects and wrinkles on its surface.

How is the thickness of graphene measured?

The thickness of graphene is typically measured using techniques such as atomic force microscopy (AFM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), or transmission electron microscopy (TEM). These techniques involve analyzing the surface topography of the graphene sample to determine its thickness at different points.

What are some challenges in accurately measuring the thickness of graphene?

One of the main challenges in measuring the thickness of graphene is its extremely small size, which requires highly sensitive instruments and techniques. Additionally, the presence of defects and wrinkles on the surface of graphene can affect the accuracy of measurements. Another challenge is differentiating between monolayer and multilayer graphene, as their thicknesses can be very similar.

Why is it important to have precise measurements of graphene thickness?

Accurate measurements of graphene thickness are crucial for understanding its properties and optimizing its use in various applications. It also helps in determining the number of layers present in a graphene sample, which can impact its electronic, thermal, and mechanical properties. Precise measurements also aid in quality control and standardization of graphene-based products.