Force on electric diploe in non-uniform electric field

In summary, the equation for the x-component of the force on a dipole includes terms for the rate of change of the electric field in the y and z directions, as the electric field may vary with position. These delta terms represent the position of one end of the dipole with respect to the other and the partials attached to them are the rate of change of the electric field in that direction. The equation assumes that the electric field is not uniform, thus making it necessary to include the gradient in all directions. This is important in situations where the dipole may be tilted in the y or z direction.
rajeshmarndi
I couldn't understand why there is,
∂E[itex]_{y}[/itex] and ∂E[itex]_{z}[/itex] term in the equation,
for the x-component of the force on di-pole,

F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = q [ E[itex]_{x}[/itex] + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x δx + ∂E[itex]_{y}[/itex]/∂y δy + ∂E[itex]_{z}[/itex]/∂z δz ] - qE[itex]_{x}[/itex]

Isn't both ∂E[itex]_{y}[/itex] and ∂E[itex]_{z}[/itex] term, should be zero along the x-component.

I understand, the net force on the di-pole, in an non-uniform electric field, should be,
F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = q [ E[itex]_{x}[/itex] + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x δx] - qE[itex]_{x}[/itex]

Since the force on the ends of a di-pole are not the same in an non-uniform field. And therefore, there would be a net force on the di-pole.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the delta terms in the equation for?

can't get through what you have written. Bhai apka Post kia hua acha say nahe sam j

Its given E[itex]_{x}[/itex], E[itex]_{y}[/itex] and E[itex]_{z}[/itex] are three rectangular component of field strength E at the origin where the charge -q of the dipole is situated and the charge +q is situated at (δx, δy, δz).

Simon Bridge said:
What are the delta terms in the equation for?

The delta terms must be the rate of change of the field.

I understand, force experienced upon x-component of the +q charge
= q [ E[itex]_{x}[/itex] + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x δx + ∂E[itex]_{y}[/itex]/∂y δy + ∂E[itex]_{z}[/itex]/∂z δz ] and,

force experienced upon x-component of the -q charge= qE[itex]_{x}[/itex]

and hence the net force on x-component of the di-pole =

F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = q [ E[itex]_{x}[/itex] + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x δx + ∂E[itex]_{y}[/itex]/∂y δy + ∂E[itex]_{z}[/itex]/∂z δz ] - qE[itex]_{x}[/itex]

Hi you Indian ?

NO - the delta terms are the position of one end of the dipole with respect to the other one.
The partials attached to the delta terms are the rate of change of E with the direction.

Since the dipole can be tilted in the y or z direction, the gradient of E in that direction must count.

Apologize, there is no ∂E[itex]_{y}[/itex] and ∂E[itex]_{z}[/itex] in the equation, so the equation is F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = q [ E[itex]_{x}[/itex] + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x δx + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂y δy + ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂z δz ] - qE[itex]_{x}[/itex].

Still, can there be term ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex] wrt ∂y and ∂z. I understand it would be zero wrt ∂y and ∂z.

Sure ... the x component of the electric field can depend on y and z
$$\vec E = E_x(x,y,z)\hat \imath + E_y(x,y,z)\hat \jmath +E_z(x,y,z) \hat k\\$$

Simon Bridge said:
Sure ... the x component of the electric field can depend on y and z
$$\vec E = E_x(x,y,z)\hat \imath + E_y(x,y,z)\hat \jmath +E_z(x,y,z) \hat k\\$$

We have only E[itex]_{x}[/itex] component along x-axis, similarly E[itex]_{y}[/itex] and E[itex]_{z}[/itex].

So, obviously ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂y i.e rate of change of x-component on y-axis should be zero.

Where am I wrong.

We have only Ex component along x-axis, similarly Ey and Ez.
... that's what I wrote - notice that each component of the electric field is a function of position?

If the x component electric field does not depend on z or y then the gradient in those directions will be zero.
The equation you wrote does not make that assumption.
The equation is explicitly for the situation that the electric field varies with position.

Simon Bridge said:
If the x component electric field does not depend on z or y then the gradient in those directions will be zero.

I still am missing something.

For e.g a particle accelerating in the x-y plane.

If I'm right, its instantaneous velocity along x-axis after an interval δx will be, ∂V[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x δx, and we wouldn't need ∂V[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂y δy.

V[itex]_{x}[/itex] = instantaneous velocity on the x-axis
∂V[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x = acceleration on the x-axis

Didn;t you say earlier that the delta-x delta-y etc were related to the separation of the charges in the dipole.

Simon Bridge said:

I think this is what I'm still not getting. Can you please make it simple.

Why the x-component depend on z or y axis? That is, once we know the rate of change along x-axis is ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x, we don't need z and y component.

Only ∂E[itex]_{x}[/itex]/∂x is required to know the value of E[itex]_{x}[/itex] at δx.

Simon Bridge said:
Didn;t you say earlier that the delta-x delta-y etc were related to the separation of the charges in the dipole.
Yes, one end of the dipole is at origin and the other charge +q is situated at (δx, δy, δz).

Why the x-component depend on z or y axis?
... that would happen if the field is not uniform.
i.e. For a point charge, the electric field is $$\vec E = \frac{kQ}{r^3}\vec r$$ ... find ##E_x##

Remember:
The electric and magnetic fields are vectors.

So ##\vec E = E_x(x,y,z)\hat\imath + E_y(x,y,z)\hat\jmath + E_z(x,y,z)\hat k##

##E_x## is not the value of ##\vec E## along the ##x## axis, it is the component of ##\vec E## at point ##\vec r = (x,y,z)## that points in the +x direction.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This results in a permanent or induced electric dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole. An example of an electric dipole is a water molecule, where the oxygen atom has a slight negative charge and the hydrogen atoms have a slight positive charge.

2. How does a non-uniform electric field affect an electric dipole?

In a non-uniform electric field, the strength and direction of the electric field varies at different points. This causes a torque to act on the electric dipole, causing it to align itself with the electric field. The force on the electric dipole is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field and the dipole moment.

3. What is the formula for the force on an electric dipole in a non-uniform electric field?

The formula for the force on an electric dipole in a non-uniform electric field is F = p*∇E, where F is the force, p is the dipole moment, and ∇E is the gradient of the electric field. This means that the force is equal to the product of the dipole moment and the rate of change of the electric field in the direction of the dipole moment.

4. How does the orientation of an electric dipole affect the force in a non-uniform electric field?

The force on an electric dipole in a non-uniform electric field is strongest when the dipole moment is aligned with the direction of the electric field. When the dipole moment is perpendicular to the electric field, the force is zero. This means that the orientation of the dipole can greatly affect the magnitude of the force.

5. Can the force on an electric dipole in a non-uniform electric field be zero?

Yes, the force on an electric dipole in a non-uniform electric field can be zero if the dipole is oriented perpendicular to the electric field. In this case, the torque acting on the dipole will cause it to rotate until it aligns with the electric field, resulting in a net force of zero.