Thermal + Compressive Stress in a Rod + Spring system

In summary: The coefficient of linear expansion of the rod is alpha, and under the combined action of the forces, the bar expands thermally. The spring imposes a force in opposition to the bar which presumably responds with a mechanical strain according to Hooke's law. If the bar was unrestrained, it would expand thermally in three dimensions. Finally, by the way, Vivek agrees with Cyclovenum and Astronuc's work.
maverick280857
Hello everyone

First off, a very happy new year to all my PF friends. I need some help with a mathematical analysis of the following situation:

One end of a metallic rod of length [itex]L_{1}[/itex] measured at temperature [itex]T_{1}[/itex] is fixed to a rigid wall and the other end is connected to a spring with force constant [itex]k[/itex] (the other end of the spring is anchored to a parallel rigid wall). The coefficient of linear expansion of the rod is [itex]\alpha[/itex]. We have to find the compression of the spring when the temperature is raised to [itex]T_{2}[/itex].

I've worked out the details...

If we add the strains algebraically,

[tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_{thermal} + \epsilon_{spring}[/tex]

with [itex]\epsilon_{thermal} = \alpha\Delta T[/itex], [itex]\epsilon_{spring} = -\frac{k\Delta L}{YA}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon = \frac{\Delta L}{L_{1}}[/itex], we do get an expression for [itex]\Delta L[/itex] under the combined action of these forces. This does yield the correct answer but I want to be sure about it. Is it correct?

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I really understand the apparatus, but your work looks good.

I am not sure why one would add the strains.

The bar expands thermally against the spring, so some of the thermal expansion of the bar causes the spring to displace. Now I say some, because as the spring is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring force increases - F = kx, where x is the displacement from no-load. The spring imposes a force in opposition to the bar which presumably responds with a mechanical strain according to Hooke's law (elastic region).

If the bar was unrestrained it would expand thermally in three dimensions with the displacement along the major axis being most significant.

If I read the problem correctly, the spring is just contacting the bar when it's temperature is T1. So when the temperature is raised to T2, the bar expands thermally. The spring force increases until a new equilibrium is achieved, and both the spring and bar are under compression (uniaxial compression for the bar).

Likes pattther
Astronauc did a good complete physical analysis, so i am just going to add this:

Ok for linear elastic and homogenous materials the compatibility equation for longitudinal displacements:

[tex] \delta = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \delta_{i} [/tex]

so if there aren't any loads in intermediate points and the bar has an uniform cross section.

[tex] \frac{\delta}{L} = \frac{1}{L} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \delta_{i} [/tex]

[tex] \epsilon = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \epsilon_{i} [/tex]

by the way, i agree with your work.

Last edited:
Thank you Cyclovenum and Astronuc!

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is thermal stress in a rod + spring system?

Thermal stress in a rod + spring system refers to the stress or force that is generated when there is a temperature difference between the rod and the spring. This stress can cause the rod and spring to expand or contract, leading to changes in their overall dimensions and potentially affecting their performance.

2. How does thermal stress affect the performance of a rod + spring system?

Thermal stress can lead to changes in the dimensions of the rod and spring, which can affect their performance. For example, if the rod and spring are meant to fit together in a specific way, thermal stress can cause them to no longer fit properly, leading to potential failures or malfunctions.

3. What is compressive stress in a rod + spring system?

Compressive stress in a rod + spring system is the stress or force that is applied to the system when it is under compression. This means that the rod and spring are being pushed together, causing them to shorten in length and potentially leading to deformation or failure.

4. How does compressive stress affect the durability of a rod + spring system?

Compressive stress can put a lot of strain on the rod and spring, potentially causing them to deform or even break if the stress is too great. This can greatly affect the durability of the system and its ability to withstand repeated use over time.

5. What are some ways to mitigate thermal and compressive stress in a rod + spring system?

There are a few ways to mitigate thermal and compressive stress in a rod + spring system. One way is to use materials that have a low coefficient of thermal expansion, meaning they will not expand or contract as much with temperature changes. Another way is to design the system with enough flexibility to accommodate for thermal and compressive stress, such as using a longer spring or a more rigid rod. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.