The Relationship between the Eyes and Energy?

In summary, light energy both enters and leaves the eyes. Animals that have "glowing" eyes at night (such as deer) rely on light reflection to see.
gbg
Recently, I was reading through a psychology textbook (Introduction to Psychology, James W. Kalat, 7th edition) and it mentions that when we see something using our eyes, energy goes into our eyes and energy does not come out of our eyes. Is this true?

Based on what I know, light is a form of energy, it can behave like a particle at times, and like a wave at other times as well. When light hits an object, that it can be absorbed, reflected, transmitted, refracted or a combination of the four. Based on that, I think that energy not only comes into the eyes but also out of our eyes. When we see something, some of the light is transmitted into the eye and some is reflected (energy goes out) from the eye. As a result light (energy) is going into and out of our eyes simultaneously. In addition to that, the angle of which the light hits our eyes also affect whether the energy enters or leaves. Besides that light that enter our eyes can be scattered due to the surface of our pupil, so if the surface is not efficiently correct, light will scattered, with some transmitted into our eyes and some reflected away.

I have not found any specific scientific journal articles that describe the relationship between light energy and the eyes. Please direct me to any resources that can help me understand the relationship between the eyes and energy. Thank you very much for your time,:smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
Please do not double-post.

You are correct that energy (in the form of light) both enters and leaves the eye.

There is no such thing as a perfect absorber of radiation in the real world, though physicists often consider theoretically perfect absorbers (called blackbodies).

The red-eye phenomenon that ruins photographs is caused by the retina reflecting some of the energy emitted by the camera's flash.

Also, I should note that all objects produce thermal electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths corresponding to their temperatures. Our eyes, at about 300 kelvin, are constantly radiating in the infrared spectrum, losing energy to the (presumably cooler) room-temperature environment. The rest of our bodies radiate the same way.

- Warren

Thank you for your help. Do you know of any scientific article that support the fact that light energy both enters and leaves the eye?

Honestly, I'd say it's too basic a concept to warrant an article. It's like asking if I can point you to an article proving that water's wet.

If all you're trying to do is disprove your psychology book, you're already done. However, it's a psychology textbook, and probably shouldn't be considered authoritative on physics anyway.

- Warren

The reason that I need an article is because I need to prove to my teacher that my answer on my mc test is correct. I have talked to her about why I said energy comes in and out of the eyes but she wants further proof.

How about this:

image of the illuminated retina is again focused by the lens of the eye back to the camera

You're effectively taking a picture of the back of the eye, which obviously involves light both entering and leaving the eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_effect

- Warren

*sigh* I don't know what's in the Introduction to Psychology text, but Kalat also has a Biological Psychology text that makes no such claim (of course my edition is rather old).

If your teacher needs evidence that light also escapes back out of the eye, point out the phenomenon of animals having "glowing" eyes at night, in particular ruminants, such as deer. They have a reflective surface in the back of the eye that helps enhance their night vision, but also reflects light back out even more noticeably so that their eyes appear to glow if you shine a light at them at night.

Also, if light shined into the eye was completely absorbed, optometrists would not be able to see anything when they examined your eyes...you can shine a light in and what reflects back out helps the doctor see the retina during an eye exam.

Actually, here, try these:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...uids=15820514&query_hl=22&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=8776488&query_hl=22&itool=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=2375701&query_hl=22&itool=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=7260483&query_hl=22&itool=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...t_uids=409694&query_hl=22&itool=pubmed_DocSum

These are just the abstracts (brief summaries) of the complete articles, but it should be enough to satisfy your teacher. The last one is straight to the point...reflection is precisely what they were measuring.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all your help

1. How are the eyes and energy connected?

The eyes and energy are connected through the optic nerve, which carries visual information from the eyes to the brain. The brain then interprets this information and sends signals to the body to respond accordingly. This process of receiving and interpreting visual information requires a significant amount of energy, making the eyes and energy closely intertwined.

2. Can the eyes affect our energy levels?

Yes, the eyes can affect our energy levels. When we strain our eyes, such as staring at a screen for extended periods of time, it can cause fatigue and eye strain. This can lead to decreased energy levels, as the eyes are working harder and using more energy than necessary.

3. How does light affect our energy through the eyes?

Light is a major source of energy for our bodies, as it helps regulate our circadian rhythm and production of hormones like melatonin. When our eyes receive light, it triggers a series of reactions in the brain that help us stay awake and alert, increasing our energy levels. On the other hand, lack of light can lead to feelings of fatigue and low energy levels.

4. Is there a connection between eye health and energy levels?

Yes, there is a strong connection between eye health and energy levels. Poor eye health, such as uncorrected vision problems or eye strain, can cause fatigue and decreased energy levels. Additionally, certain eye conditions like dry eyes or cataracts can also contribute to feelings of tiredness and low energy.

5. How can we optimize the relationship between our eyes and energy?

To optimize the relationship between our eyes and energy, it is important to take breaks from screen time and give our eyes a rest. This can help prevent eye strain and fatigue. Additionally, maintaining good eye health through regular eye exams and addressing any vision problems can also help improve energy levels. Lastly, ensuring proper lighting in our environments can also positively impact our energy levels through our eyes.