Optimization finding expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the maximum volume of an open box made from a rectangular piece of metal by cutting equal squares from the four corners. The dimensions of the metal piece are given as 60 x 100 cm. After some calculations, the formula for volume is determined to be V = 4x^3-320x^2+6000x, and the derivative is taken to find the maximum value. However, there is confusion about the correct answer and the use of the product rule is suggested. The conversation ends with a plea for help.
Hollysmoke
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3055/diagram28do.jpg

I drew out that diagram but I think I might be wrong. The question is:

Tom makes an open box from a rectangular piece of metal by cutting equal squares from the four corners and turning up the sides. The piece of metal measures 60 x 100 cm. What are the dimensions of the box with the maximum volume?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wrote A=(60-2x)(100-2y)

[tex]V = l.w.h[/tex]
[tex]V = (100-2y)(60-2x)(y)[/tex]

If he cut squares from the four corners, then y = x.

[tex]V = (100-2x)(60-2x)(x)[/tex]

Find the maximum value of V for positive values of x and you have your solution.

OHH...Right. Okay, thank you!

Okay this is strange...
After expanding and simplifying, I get
V=4x^3-320x^2+6000x

I differentiate that too
V'=12x^2-640x+6000

but I'm not getting the answer in the textbook. What am I doing wrong?

nvm...I should have differentiated using the product rule D8

no...didn't make a different and I am still getting a weird answer. Can someone please help me?

Ignore last post! D8

1. What is optimization finding expression?

Optimization finding expression is a mathematical process used to find the best possible solution to a problem by minimizing or maximizing a specific objective function.

2. What are some common applications of optimization finding expression?

Optimization finding expression is used in various fields such as engineering, economics, computer science, and operations research to solve problems related to resource allocation, scheduling, and decision-making.

3. Can optimization finding expression be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, optimization finding expression can be applied to real-world problems to find the most efficient and optimal solution. It has been successfully used to optimize airline schedules, production processes, and financial investments, among others.

4. What are the main steps involved in optimization finding expression?

The main steps in optimization finding expression include formulating the problem, defining the objective function, identifying constraints, finding the feasible region, solving the problem using mathematical techniques, and interpreting the results in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to optimization finding expression?

Yes, optimization finding expression may face limitations when dealing with complex and nonlinear problems. It also relies on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made, which may affect the validity of the results.