Laser Illuminocity changes with cavity length

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that may affect the strength of a laser beam when changing the distance of one mirror from the tube. The main factor identified is the amount of light reflected back, which is affected by the cone of light created by the concave mirror. The shape of the light beam is also mentioned, with the assumption that it is a conus. Additional clarification is requested regarding the terms "illuminocity" and "beam strength" and the type of mirror being used.
fargoth
I got a HeNe tube with a constant size which has a concave mirror at one end.
Im changing the distance of the other mirror from the tube.. now, i know some distances arent stable, but appart from the Heaviside function, is there any other change in the beam's strength?
the only thing that comes to my mind is that as i move the mirror away less light is reflected back, because it catches less of the cone of light made by the concave mirror in the back... so assuming that the shape of light beam from that mirror is a conus, the leading order is [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex]... am i right?
are there any other factors?

Science news on Phys.org
I need a little clarfication on some points before I can answer your question.

Firstly, what do you mean by illuminocity and beam strength? I have a feeling you are either referring to the lasers output power, or its output irradiance, could you confirm this?

Just to clarify, you are asking how the output beam of a laser will change as you vary the distance between the mirrors?

One final question, is the mirror you are using at the output end planar or concave?

Claude.

I can confirm that changing the cavity length of a laser can indeed affect the laser's illuminocity. This is due to the fact that the cavity length determines the resonant frequency of the laser, which in turn affects the output power and beam quality.

In your specific case, where you are using a HeNe tube with a concave mirror at one end and changing the distance of the other mirror, there are a few factors to consider. As you mentioned, the shape of the light beam from the concave mirror is a cone, and the leading order is inversely proportional to the distance (r) from the mirror. This means that as you move the mirror away, the beam will become weaker and less focused.

Another factor to consider is the stability of the laser. As you change the cavity length, the resonant frequency of the laser can shift, potentially causing fluctuations in the output power and beam quality. This can be mitigated by using a Heaviside function, which can help stabilize the laser's output.

Additionally, the distance between the two mirrors can also affect the efficiency of the laser. If the mirrors are too far apart, the laser may not reach its threshold for lasing and will not produce a strong enough beam. On the other hand, if the mirrors are too close together, there may be too much feedback, resulting in a distorted or unstable beam.

In summary, changing the cavity length of a laser can affect its illuminocity due to changes in the resonant frequency, stability, and efficiency of the laser. It is important to carefully consider these factors when adjusting the cavity length to achieve the desired beam strength and quality.

1. What is laser illuminocity?

Laser illuminocity refers to the intensity or brightness of a laser beam. It is a measure of the amount of light that is emitted from a laser source and is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How does laser illuminocity change with cavity length?

The laser illuminocity is directly proportional to the cavity length of the laser. This means that as the length of the laser cavity increases, the laser beam becomes more focused and therefore the illuminocity increases.

3. What is a laser cavity?

A laser cavity is the space between two mirrors in a laser system where the laser beam is reflected back and forth. This allows for amplification and generation of a high-intensity laser beam.

4. Why does laser illuminocity change with cavity length?

The change in laser illuminocity with cavity length is due to the phenomenon of constructive interference. As the laser beam bounces back and forth between the mirrors, the waves of light align and amplify, resulting in a more intense beam.

5. Is there a limit to how much the laser illuminocity can increase with cavity length?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the laser illuminocity can increase with cavity length. This is because at a certain point, the laser beam will become too focused and the wave amplitudes will cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in illuminocity. This limit is known as the diffraction limit.