Creating Realistic Fireflies for Production of 'As You Like It

• Thread starter lightnb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LED technology to create a realistic firefly effect for a theatrical production. The dominant wavelength of fireflies is 570 nanometers and they have a specific pulsing pattern. The use of 555 IC Timer chips and a sawtooth wave generator is suggested to achieve the desired effect. However, the idea of using a PIC for variable times is also mentioned. The conversation also mentions a company that specializes in creating realistic firefly replicas for various purposes.
lightnb
I am the Lighting Designer for a production of 'As You Like It' and have been asked to find a way to create a realistic firefly effect.

From my research, Fireflys have a dominant wavelength of 570 nanometers. They fade on quickly, pulse (a very fast fade on and off) at a rate between 2.5 and 3.5 Hz (varying from firefly to firefly), and then fade out. The on cycle should last between 1.5 and 3 seconds, and the off cycle should be 4 to 7 seconds.

They make LEDs with a dominant wavelength of 570 nanometers and I was considering using (2) 555 IC Timer chips, one to control the flicker within the on cycle, and one to control the on and off cycle itself.

My question is, is this the most effective way to achieve this effect? If not, what would you recommend?

If so, how can I make the pulses fast-fade instead of blink? How do I determine the values of the resistors and capacitors to get the desired rates? And finally, how do I get the 'firefly' to fade out at the end of it's on cycle instead of blinking off?

I would greatly appreciate any insight you could offer on this project.

Thanks,

Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try looking up sawtooth wave generator.
So called because the output waveform resemble the teeth of a saw.
If set up properly it will produce a quick on with slow decay to off.

If you set up a 555 to produce narrow pulses, then you can charge a capacitor with the pulse. The decay to 0 time is dependent on the value of the cap and resistance of the led. Set the cap/led to decay in your 1.5 to three seconds and the repetition time of the 555 to be your 4 to 7 seconds.

If you want variable times, like sometimes 4 and sometimes 7 sec and/or decay times then i would look into using a PIC (a small single chip computer)

This post is probably too late for your production. However, we are the leader in the design & manufacture of realistic firefly reproductions for stage, screen, zoos, natural history museums, commercial locations, and home backyards. We even design units that Universities utilize to lure-in real fireflies for research.

Through the use of our patented microprocessor technology and accurate LED selections we can mimic virtually any of hundreds of species of firefly from around the world. We are alway happy to discuss the specific needs of any project in order to determine if our 'Firefly Magic' fireflies will work. http://www.ledsfx.com"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you create fireflies for production of 'As You Like It'?

To create realistic fireflies for production of 'As You Like It', we use a combination of practical and digital effects. This includes using LED lights and fiber optics for the physical fireflies, as well as CGI and post-production techniques for more intricate movements and effects.

2. What materials and tools are needed to create realistic fireflies?

To create realistic fireflies, we use a variety of materials and tools including LED lights, fiber optics, batteries, wires, soldering equipment, and computer software for CGI and post-production effects. It also requires a skilled team of technicians and artists to bring the fireflies to life.

3. How do you ensure the fireflies look realistic on stage?

To ensure the fireflies look realistic on stage, we conduct extensive research on the behavior and movements of real fireflies. We also work closely with the production team to create a suitable lighting design and placement for the fireflies. Additionally, we use advanced animation and post-production techniques to make the fireflies look as lifelike as possible.

4. Can the fireflies pose a safety hazard during the production?

No, the fireflies used for production are carefully designed and tested to ensure they are safe to use on stage. LED lights and fiber optics are used instead of actual fire to eliminate any fire hazards. Additionally, precautions are taken during rehearsals to ensure the safety of the actors and crew members.

5. How long does it take to create realistic fireflies for a production?

The process of creating realistic fireflies for a production can vary depending on the complexity and scale of the production. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for the team to plan, design, and implement the fireflies. It also involves multiple stages of testing and adjustments to achieve the desired effect.