Calculate Rise Time for Sinusoidal Signal at f_0

In summary, the rise time of a pulse is the time taken to go from 10% to 90% of its final value. The rise time for a sinusoidal signal at 50 kHz is T\,=\,\frac{sin^{-1}(-0.8)}{2\,\pi\,f_0}?
VinnyCee
Algebraically calculate the Rise Time value for the sinusoidal signal at an arbitrary frequency [itex]f_0[/itex] (expressed in Hz). Assume that the signal has zero average, that is

[tex]V_{min}\,=\,-V_{max}[/tex]

Express the Rise Time in units of the period [itex]T\,=\,\frac{1}{f_0}[/itex].

MY WORK SO FAR:

[tex]\left(V_{min}\,+\,0.9\,V_{ppk}\right)\,-\,\left(V_{min}\,+\,0.1\,V_{ppk}\right)[/tex]

[tex]V_{ppk}\,=\,V_{max}\,-\,V_{min}[/tex]

[tex]RISE\,=\,0.8\,V_{max}\,-\,0.8\,V_{min}[/tex]

[tex]RUN\,=\,T[/tex]

SLOPE equals RISE over RUN, but I don't know how to relate the two things to get an equation for the answer.

The problem goes on to ask us to calculate the Rise Time value in msec for the sinusoidal signal at 500Hz. But I need the equation in order to solve it. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The rise time of a pulse is the time taken to go from 10% to 90% of its final value.

So given a simple sin wave [itex]sin\omega t[/itex], one wants to find the time that it takes the signal to go from t1 = 0.1 to t2 = 0.9 if the signal goes from 0 - 1, or t1 = -0.8 to t2 = 0.8 if the signal goes from -1 to 1.

Now how to find t?

If one knows the value of the function, e.g. 0.1, then

[itex]sin\omega t\,=\,0.1 [/itex], or

[itex]\omega t\,=\,sin^{-1}(0.1) [/itex], or

[tex]t\,=\,\frac{sin^{-1}(0.1)}{\omega}[/tex]

One then needs to know the relationship between [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]\omega [/itex] .

Angular frequency, [itex]\omega[/itex], is equal to [itex]2\,\pi[/itex] times the frequency [itex]f[/itex](in Hertz).

So the Rise Time for a -1 to 1 sinusoidal signal is [tex]T\,=\,\frac{sin^{-1}(-0.8)}{2\,\pi\,f_0}[/tex]? What about the positive one? Should I be subtracting it from the one just stated?

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it, but the term rise time must be qualified with what fraction of the total waveform amplitude the rise time is measured over.

For example, it is common with trapezoidal logic signals to refer to the "10 to 90 rise time", which means that you measure the time it takes during the rising transition for the signal to go from 10% of the final value to 90% of the final value.

Was something like this mentioned in the original problem statement?

Yes, its exactly what is stated earlier in the lab manual. The problem itself does not specify this though, it is implied.

Does the T equation that I have above look right for the 10 to 90 rise time in terms of [itex]f_0[/itex]?

VinnyCee said:
Angular frequency, [itex]\omega[/itex], is equal to [itex]2\,\pi[/itex] times the frequency [itex]f[/itex](in Hertz).

So the Rise Time for a -1 to 1 sinusoidal signal is [tex]T\,=\,\frac{sin^{-1}(-0.8)}{2\,\pi\,f_0}[/tex]? What about the positive one? Should I be subtracting it from the one just stated?
I'm not sure I understand your approach, but just calculate what fraction of a period it takes for the sine wave to go from zero to 0.8 in amplitude. You'll get something a little less than a radian, I believe. Then multiply by 2 to get the total 10-90 rise time of the sine wave (from -0.8 to + 0.8). Since the answer is in terms of radians at the frequency of any sine wave, that shows that the frequency does not matter.

So the T above is the correct answer?

Algebraically calculate the Rise Time value for the sinusoidal signal at an arbitrary frequency [itex]f_0[/itex] (expressed in Hz). Assume that the signal has zero average, that is

[tex]V_{min}\,=\,-V_{max}[/tex]

Express the Rise Time in units of the period [itex]T\,=\,\frac{1}{f_0}[/itex].

Using your algebraic results, calculate the Rise Time in [itex]\mu s[/itex] for the sinusoidal signal at 50 kHz.

Please help! I have NO IDEA what the problem is trying to get at. Please help!

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating rise time for a sinusoidal signal at f_0?

The formula for calculating rise time for a sinusoidal signal at f_0 is:
Rise Time = 0.35/f_0, where f_0 is the frequency of the signal in hertz (Hz).

What is the significance of calculating rise time for a sinusoidal signal?

Calculating rise time for a sinusoidal signal can help determine the speed of the signal's rise from its initial value to its final value. This is important in understanding the performance and behavior of the signal in various applications, such as in communication systems or electronic circuits.

How do I measure the rise time of a sinusoidal signal?

To measure the rise time of a sinusoidal signal, you can use an oscilloscope and measure the time it takes for the signal to rise from 10% to 90% of its maximum amplitude. Alternatively, you can also use a frequency analyzer to measure the rise time directly.

Can rise time be calculated for non-sinusoidal signals?

Yes, rise time can be calculated for non-sinusoidal signals as well. However, the formula may differ depending on the type of signal and its frequency components. It is important to understand the characteristics of the signal in order to accurately calculate the rise time.

How does rise time affect signal quality?

The rise time of a signal can affect its overall quality and performance. A longer rise time can result in slower response and potentially introduce distortion in the signal. On the other hand, a shorter rise time can improve the signal's speed and accuracy. Therefore, it is important to consider the rise time when designing and analyzing electronic systems.