Proving V is a Hilbert Space: Facts 1 & 2

In summary: Just show that if {v_n} is a sequence such that ||v_n-v||->0, then |v_n(1)-v(1)|->0.I did try to show that v_n(1) -> v(1) if v_n conerges to v...something like that :)I did try to show that v_n(1) -> v(1) if v_n conerges to v, but I don't remember how I did it.thanks for trying to help, but I think I got it.In summary, we know that a closed subspace
island-boy
Fact 1: we know that a closed subspace of a Hilbert Space is also a Hilbert Space.

Fact 2: we know that the Sobolev Space [tex]H^{1}[/tex] is a Hlbert space.

How do I show that the space [tex]V:=\{v \in H^{1}, v(1) = 0\}[/tex] is a Hilbert space?

Is V automatically a closed subspace of [tex]H^{1}[/tex]? How do I show this? cause I can't see how it is so.

Alternatively, is there a way to prove that the space [tex]V:=\{v \in H^{1}, v(1) = 0\}[/tex] is a Hilbert space, without using facts 1 and 2? that is how do I show that V is complete? (it is automatically an inner product space because it is in [tex]H^{1}[/tex]).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show the function H_1->R given by evalutation at a point is continuous. Then the preimage of a point, which is a closed set, must be closed.

thanks for the reply StatusX...

how about for the space [tex]V:= \{v \in H^{1}, v(0) = v(1) \}[/tex]?
How do I prove that this is a Hilbert Space?...more specifically, how do I prove that this is a closed subspace of [tex]H^{1}[/tex]?

thanks again.

If you understand post 2, you can do this question. He asked you to find a function H1 to R with some certain properties. Try explicitly writing down a function with those properties.

okay, let's see if I understood this correctly...

for the first one, I have to find a function that maps from H1 to v(1) (which is equal to 0 and hence is in R).

For the second, I have to find a function that maps from H1 to v(0) - v(1) (which is also equal to 0 and hence is in R).

And since 0 is a closed set, its preimage, which is in H1, is also a closed set, and therefore also a Hilbert Space.

is this correct?

also, do I have to specifically define a function, like f(x) = something... where x is in H1?

Last edited:
for the first one, I have to find a function that maps from H1 to v(1) (which is equal to 0 and hence is in R).
That doesn't really make sense.
also, do I have to specifically define a function, like f(x) = something... where x is in H1?
You should, yes.

And prove the functions you find are continuous, otherwise you can't argue that the preimages are closed.

0 is not a closed set, it's not even a set. {0} is, however.

And just in case it matters (I don't know): it doesn't have to map into R, it can map into any T1 space, hence into any Hausdorff space.

if my understanding is correct, isn't the [tex]l^{2}[/tex] space a space of measurable functions (and hence the [tex]h^{1}[/tex] space also a space of measruable functions).

My confusion lies is this: I have to find a function that maps the space of measurable function (h1) to the real space. Is this correct?
or is the V-space(the space of v in h1 where v(0) = 0) the function in question?

The function sends v, an element of H1, (which is a function itself) to v(1) (or v(1)-v(0)), which is an element of R (or C). To show it is continuous, show that if a sequence of functions v_n has limit v in H1, then the sequence in R (or C) given by v_n(1) has limit v(1). First you'll have to be more specific about what you mean by H1 (eg, what is the norm?).

Last edited:
the inner product of H1 is given by

[tex](u, v)_{H^{1}} = \int u' v' (x) dx [/tex]

the norm is

[tex] \| \cdot \|_{H^{1}} = \sqrt{(\cdot, \cdot)_{H^{1}}[/tex]

how exactly do you define a sequence of functions v_n?

thanks.

Last edited:
You don't have to explicitly define a sequence. Just show that if {v_n} is a sequence such that ||v_n-v||->0, then |v_n(1)-v(1)|->0.

island-boy said:
if my understanding is correct, isn't the [tex]l^{2}[/tex] space a space of measurable functions

l^2 is the space of square summable series. L^2(X) is the space of square intergrable functions on X.

hi guys,

just submitted the work today...am not sure if what I did was 100% correct, but at least I know it was generally correct.

I did try to show that v_n(1) -> v(1) if v_n conerges to v...something like that :)

just want to say thanks for the help.

H1 is a set of functions from X to Y (I don't know what X and Y are). Shouldn't you have defined a function f : H1 -> Y defined by: f(v) = v(1). It's clear that V = f-1({0}) so you would only need to prove two things: a) that {0} is closed in Y, and b) that f is continuous. For the second problem, you would define a function g : H1 -> Y by g(v) = v(0) - v(1). The V here is g-1({0}), so assuming you've already proved {0} to be closed in Y, you now just have to show g is continuous.

1. What is a Hilbert Space?

A Hilbert Space is a mathematical concept that describes a complete vector space with an inner product. It is a space that is equipped with both a distance and an angle, making it useful for studying geometric properties of mathematical objects.

2. What are Facts 1 & 2 in relation to proving V is a Hilbert Space?

Facts 1 & 2 refer to two specific properties that must be satisfied in order for a vector space V to be considered a Hilbert Space. Fact 1 states that V must be a complete space, meaning that every Cauchy sequence in V must converge to a point in V. Fact 2 states that V must be equipped with an inner product that satisfies certain properties, such as being linear and positive definite.

3. How do you prove that V is a Hilbert Space?

In order to prove that V is a Hilbert Space, you must show that it satisfies Facts 1 & 2. This can be done by demonstrating that V is a complete space and that it satisfies all the necessary properties of an inner product, such as being linear and positive definite.

4. What are the applications of Hilbert Spaces?

Hilbert Spaces have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are often used to study and model complex systems, such as quantum mechanics and signal processing. They also have applications in functional analysis, optimization, and data analysis.

5. Are there any other conditions for a vector space V to be considered a Hilbert Space?

Yes, in addition to satisfying Facts 1 & 2, a vector space V must also be infinite-dimensional to be considered a Hilbert Space. This means that it must have an infinite number of basis vectors. Additionally, the inner product must be complete, meaning that it can be used to measure the distance between any two points in V.