Is there a Formula for Determining States of 3d^4 Configuration?

• Thread starter scarecrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of a 3d^4 configuration and the number of potential spin states. It was determined that there is no atom with this configuration and the conversation also touched on the concept of closed shells.
scarecrow
a 3d^4 configuration? I made a table filling out the possible spin states, but it seems like there's infinite permutations..:yuck: I know that's not possible but it's taking too long.

Is there a formula to find this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no atom with 3d^4 configuration. So what's the point in thinking about one ?

Daniel.

I'm neglecting closed shells, so therefore a 3d^4 atom does exist.

Anyways...I figured it out...there's (1/4!)(10*9*8*7) = 210 spin states.

Electron 1 has 10 possible states
Electron 2 has 9
Electron 3 has 8
Electron 4 has 7

scarecrow said:
I'm neglecting closed shells, so therefore a 3d^4 atom does exist.
No, dexter is still right. Or else, you should be able to name the element with the 3d^4 configuration.

1. How many states arise from mitosis?

There are two daughter cells that arise from mitosis, resulting in two identical diploid cells.

2. How many states arise from meiosis?

There are four daughter cells that arise from meiosis, resulting in four genetically diverse haploid cells.

3. How many states arise from photosynthesis?

There are two states that arise from photosynthesis - the light-dependent reactions and the light-independent reactions.

4. How many states arise from cellular respiration?

There are three states that arise from cellular respiration - glycolysis, the Krebs cycle, and the electron transport chain.

5. How many states arise from protein synthesis?

There are two states that arise from protein synthesis - transcription, where DNA is used to make mRNA, and translation, where mRNA is used to make proteins.