Calculate Distance for 5ft-lbs Impact w/ 1.18lb Sphere

• Thread starter mrb112103
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the distance needed to create a 5ft-lbs impact with a 1.18lb sphere being dropped vertically onto a surface for an impact test. The most direct method is to equate potential and kinetic energies, using the mass and impact force to determine the necessary distance. The conversation also mentions converting from English units to metric units and clarifies the formula for calculating kinetic energy.
mrb112103
Hello,

I am probably going to suffer some embarassment, once I see the answer to my question. Anwyay, I need to calculate the distance needed to create a 5ft-lbs. impact with a 1.18lb. sphere being dropped vertically onto a surface.

How would I go about calucating the vertical distance needed?

This is for an impact test from UL, where the mass and impact force are defined, but the distance is not.

Please help a newbie. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
(well I abhor those english units, but I reckon the principles are the same). what i like even less are words like "impact." since its in ft-lb, I assume they are looking for energy.

there are a few ways to go about this, but usually the most direct is to equate potntial and kinetic energies

wt*h=1/2Mv^2=impact energy

Still unclear...

So if the Mass of the sphere (M) = 1.18 lbs = .535kg & the impact force = 5 ft. lbs. = 6.8 Joules, then is the velocity = to acceleration by gravity ~ 9.8m/s^2?

So it's .5(.535kg * (9.8 m/s^2)) = 6.8 Joules ??

If your you want your final kinetic energy to be E, then use E=mgh. Or like denverdoc said, E=F*d (force times distance). Gravitational force is 1.18 lbs, you want 5 ft-lbs of impact energy, so d=E/F=(5/1.18) ft.

1. How do you calculate distance for 5ft-lbs impact with a 1.18lb sphere?

The formula for calculating distance for a given impact force and mass is: distance = (impact force * 12) / (mass * 32.2). In this case, the distance would be (5 * 12) / (1.18 * 32.2) = 1.84 feet.

2. Why is it important to calculate the distance for an impact?

Calculating the distance for an impact is important because it helps us understand the potential damage or force of the impact. It can also be used to determine the required safety measures or protective gear needed.

3. Can this formula be applied to any type of impact?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any type of impact as long as the impact force and mass are known. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and sports science to analyze different types of impacts.

4. What is the significance of using a 1.18lb sphere in this calculation?

The 1.18lb sphere is used in this calculation because it represents the mass of an average human head. This allows us to understand the potential impact force and distance for head-related injuries.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation, such as air resistance and the angle of impact. However, for most practical applications, these factors can be ignored and the calculation will still provide a good estimate of the impact distance.