The Safety Design of Parachute

In summary: If you've come here for answers to your homework, then I'm afraid you're in the wrong place. We do not give "specific and detailed answers" here, and only provide help when the student shows his/her own work/efforts.
NeKroA
Hi there. I am new so I have no idea where to put this. I'd be glad if the moderator can help me put this in the right spot.

So here is my question:

What makes a parachute safe in a physics sense? I need a proper source. I've been looking for this for hours and I couldn't find anything off the net. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
NeKroA said:
What makes a parachute safe in a physics sense? I need a proper source. I've been looking for this for hours and I couldn't find anything off the net. Thanks.
What is the function of a parachute?

To provide safey, a parachute must limit the velocity of the person descending through the atmosphere so that person will land on the ground without injury.

How does the parachute accomplish this?

Astronuc said:
What is the function of a parachute?

To provide safey, a parachute must limit the velocity of the person descending through the atmosphere so that person will land on the ground without injury.

How does the parachute accomplish this?

Im very to inform you this, but this doesn't help me at all. I know you're trying to say air resistance, but i need more specific and details example. Here are my questions .

1. 1. Which factors or issues (political, economical, environmental, safety) have lead to the development of the device?
2. What is the physics [forces and motion] behind the need for the device?
3. What is the physics [forces and motion] behind the way the device functions?
4. Give an historical perspective of how the device has been redesigned, tested, or refined overtime. (para [ against] chute [fall])

NeKroA said:
Im very to inform you this, but this doesn't help me at all. I know you're trying to say air resistance, but i need more specific and details example. Here are my questions .

1. 1. Which factors or issues (political, economical, environmental, safety) have lead to the development of the device?
2. What is the physics [forces and motion] behind the need for the device?
3. What is the physics [forces and motion] behind the way the device functions?
4. Give an historical perspective of how the device has been redesigned, tested, or refined overtime. (para [ against] chute [fall])

If you've come here for answers to your homework, then I'm afraid you're in the wrong place. We do not give "specific and detailed answers" here, and only provide help when the student shows his/her own work/efforts.

If you've been looking for hours on the internet, you must've found something. What information do you have thus far? Is there anything from your textbook or class notes that can help you?

cristo said:
If you've come here for answers to your homework, then I'm afraid you're in the wrong place. We do not give "specific and detailed answers" here, and only provide help when the student shows his/her own work/efforts.

If you've been looking for hours on the internet, you must've found something. What information do you have thus far? Is there anything from your textbook or class notes that can help you?

Hi there. I just wanted to know othe than air resistance (drag), what other forces or motions are in behind for the need of parachute. Thanks :P

1. How does a parachute work?

A parachute works by creating drag and slowing down an object's descent. When a person jumps out of an airplane, the parachute opens and the canopy catches the air, creating resistance and slowing down the person's fall.

2. What materials are used to make a parachute?

The most commonly used materials for parachutes are nylon and silk. These materials are strong, lightweight, and have a low air resistance, making them ideal for creating a parachute that can withstand the forces of a person's descent.

3. How do scientists test the safety of a parachute?

Scientists test the safety of parachutes through a series of simulations and physical tests. This can include computer simulations, wind tunnel tests, and actual drops from different heights and speeds to evaluate how the parachute performs under different conditions.

4. What are some safety features of a parachute?

A parachute has several safety features, such as a backup parachute, a reserve handle in case the main handle fails, and a ripcord to deploy the parachute. Additionally, parachutes are designed with a specific shape and size to provide maximum drag and stability during descent.

5. How has parachute safety improved over time?

Parachute safety has improved significantly over time through advancements in materials, design, and testing methods. In the past, parachutes were made of silk and had a single canopy design, which was less reliable. Now, parachutes are made of stronger materials and have multiple canopies, making them more reliable and safer for users.