Pascal's Principle Lab Idea for AP Physics BC

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for an idea for a lab on Pascal's Principle, specifically replicating a hydraulic car lift. One person suggests using a 1L plastic bottle and a 2L pop bottle with pistons made from binary acrylic. Another suggests using different masses to measure the force. The conversation also briefly mentions other applications of Pascal's Principle and asks for clarification on what binary acrylic is.
aphan9
hi, I'm new to this forum and i hope that you guys can help me with this and also in the future, i am currently taking ap physics bc.

i need an idea for a lab on pascal principle (F2/A2) = (F1/A1), i was thinking about replicating a hydraulic car lift, but how would you measure the force?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm... For my son's grade 5 project we used a 1L skinny plastic water bottle connected to a regular 2L pop bottle. We made pistons with the binary acrylic you can buy at most hobby shops. Then connected the two bottles at the bottom. Since the surface areas of the small bottle to the large one, when mostly filled with water and then the pistons were installed you pushed the little piston 3cm and the big one in the pop bottle went up 1 cm. Worked great.

One could use different masses on each 'piston'. This way the force would simply be the weight of each mass.

that sounds cool, i'll give it a try
does anyone know if there is any other application of pascal's principle besides those involving pistons-like objects?
btw what is binary acrylic?

1. What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that when pressure is applied to a confined fluid, the pressure will be transmitted equally in all directions within the fluid.

2. How does Pascal's Principle relate to AP Physics BC?

Pascal's Principle is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics, which is a topic covered in AP Physics BC. Understanding this principle is crucial for solving problems related to fluid pressure and flow.

3. What is the purpose of a Pascal's Principle lab in AP Physics BC?

A Pascal's Principle lab allows students to apply the concept in a hands-on experiment, helping them to develop a deeper understanding of the principle and its application in real-world scenarios.

4. What materials are needed for a Pascal's Principle lab?

The materials needed for a Pascal's Principle lab may include a container, water or another fluid, a pressure gauge, tubing, and various objects to demonstrate the principle, such as syringes or pistons.

5. What are some potential lab ideas for demonstrating Pascal's Principle in AP Physics BC?

Some potential lab ideas for demonstrating Pascal's Principle in AP Physics BC include using a hydraulic lift to lift heavy objects, constructing a hydraulic press using syringes and tubing, or observing the effects of fluid pressure on objects of different shapes and sizes.