Which formula do I use? (Megastats Excel Statistics homework problem)

In summary, Based on a sample of 12 subscribers, the point estimate for the population mean amount spent on local and long distance service is $63. A 90% confidence interval for the population mean is $58.65 to $67.35. The company's claim that the typical customer spends $60 per month seems reasonable based on the confidence interval.
mexicnfmle

Homework Statement

The Warren County Telephone Company claims in its annual report that “the typical customer spends $60 per month on local and long distance service.” A sample of 12 subscribers revealed the following amounts spent last month.

$64 $66 $64 $66 $59 $62 $67 $61 $64 $58 $54 $66

a. What is the point estimate of the population mean?

b. Develop a 90 percent confidence interval for the population mean.

c. Is the company’s claim that the “typical customer” spends $60 per month reasonable?
Justify your answer using the confidence interval.

Homework Equations

Sample population? 12
Mean=$63
Confidence Interval 90%

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can use megastats to solve this problem, I am just drawing a blank on which formula to use. WHen I click on Descriptive statistics, it comes back saying "not enough data selected". I tried Confidence Interval and I tried both:
Sample size-mean
sample size- p

I must be entering something wrong somewhere.
Can someone just tell me which formula to use? I am drawing a blank..

Thanks,
Emily

Physics news on Phys.org
You can approximate the distribution by a Gaussian distribution with the same mean and variance, assuming that's a reasonable approximation.
With just 12 entries using the data directly won't give a good estimate (what is half a subscriber?).

Although the number of samples is small for real accuracy, this is just an exercise to learn the concepts. If you are allowed to use other calculators in this class, try using this.

I think the amount of time a customer spends on the phone each month probably follows an exponential distribution, and asusming they are charged at a fixed rate per minute the amount they spend will also follow an exponential distribution.

However as this is an introductory exercise I think the assumption is that the amount spent is normally distributed. If the population follows an [itex]N(\mu,\sigma^2)[/itex] distribution then the mean of a sample of size [itex]n[/itex] follows an [itex]N(\mu, \sigma^2/n)[/itex] distribution. Thus with probability 0.9 the sample mean [itex]\bar{x}[/itex] and population mean satisfy [tex]\bar{x} - \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}\Phi^{-1}(0.95) \leq \mu \leq \bar{x} + \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}\Phi^{-1}(0.95).[/tex] An unbiased estimate for the population variance [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] is [tex]\frac{1}{n - 1}\sum_i(x_i - \bar{x})^2[/tex] which is [itex]n/(n-1)[/itex] times the sample variance.

Likes FactChecker
If the time spent on the phone is normal, how do you restrict t from taking a negative value?

BWV said:
If the time spent on the phone is normal, how do you restrict t from taking a negative value?
Looking at the data, I would say that the mean and standard deviation indicate that there is only a tiny bit of the normal distribution that would be negative. The difference between a normal model and an always-positive Gamma distribution model is negligible for this case.
That is assuming that the lower limit is at ##x=0##. Suppose there is a fixed cost such as at 52, so ##x \ge 52##. Then, for this sample mean and variance, the normal distribution would violate the constraint with a higher probability and would be significantly worse than a Gamma.

Likes mfb
0 is over 10 standard deviations away (<<10-23), so it's completely negligible.

Likes FactChecker
pasmith said:
However as this is an introductory exercise I think the assumption is that the amount spent is normally distributed. If the population follows an [itex]N(\mu,\sigma^2)[/itex] distribution then the mean of a sample of size [itex]n[/itex] follows an [itex]N(\mu, \sigma^2/n)[/itex] distribution. Thus with probability 0.9 the sample mean [itex]\bar{x}[/itex] and population mean satisfy [tex]\bar{x} - \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}\Phi^{-1}(0.95) \leq \mu \leq \bar{x} + \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}\Phi^{-1}(0.95).[/tex] An unbiased estimate for the population variance [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] is [tex]\frac{1}{n - 1}\sum_i(x_i - \bar{x})^2[/tex] which is [itex]n/(n-1)[/itex] times the sample variance.

Correction: the quantity [itex](\bar{x} - \mu)/(S/\sqrt{n})[/itex] where [itex]S^2 = \frac{1}{n - 1}\sum_i(x_i - \bar{x})^2[/itex] follows a [itex]t[/itex] distribution with [itex](n-1)[/itex] degrees of freedom, so we need the inverse CDF of that rather than the inverse CDF of the normal distribution.

pasmith said:
Correction: the quantity [itex](\bar{x} - \mu)/(S/\sqrt{n})[/itex] where [itex]S^2 = \frac{1}{n - 1}\sum_i(x_i - \bar{x})^2[/itex] follows a [itex]t[/itex] distribution with [itex](n-1)[/itex] degrees of freedom, so we need the inverse CDF of that rather than the inverse CDF of the normal distribution.
Doesn't the [itex]t[/itex] approach a normal for n close to 15?

1. What is the purpose of using formulas in Megastats Excel for statistics homework?

The main purpose of using formulas in Megastats Excel for statistics homework is to perform calculations and manipulate data in a more efficient and accurate manner. By using formulas, you can easily analyze large sets of data and obtain statistical results that would be difficult to calculate manually.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific problem?

The best way to determine which formula to use for a specific problem is to first identify the type of data you are working with and the type of analysis you need to perform. Then, refer to the Megastats Excel manual or online resources for a list of formulas and their specific uses. You can also consult with your instructor or a statistics expert for guidance.

3. Can I use any formula from Megastats Excel for my statistics homework?

It is recommended to only use formulas from Megastats Excel that have been taught or approved by your instructor. Using incorrect or unrelated formulas may result in incorrect data analysis and ultimately, incorrect results for your homework assignment.

4. Is there a difference between Megastats Excel formulas and regular Excel formulas?

Yes, there are some differences between Megastats Excel formulas and regular Excel formulas. Megastats Excel formulas are specifically designed for statistical analysis and may have additional features and functions that are not available in regular Excel formulas. It is important to use the correct formula for your specific statistical analysis needs.

5. How often do the formulas in Megastats Excel get updated?

The formulas in Megastats Excel are periodically updated to improve their accuracy and efficiency. It is important to make sure you are using the latest version of Megastats Excel and to regularly check for updates to formulas that you frequently use for your statistics homework.