Capacitor and Inductor in Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of reactances in a series circuit with a capacitor and inductor connected to an alternating supply. The reactances of the two components are subtracted from each other due to their opposite phases. The formula for calculating the reactance in this circuit is Z=iωL-1/iωC. The conversation also mentions a generator that needs a new capacitor and the details of its specifications. The conversation ends with the speaker admitting to not understanding the formula and being a licensed electrician who needs to refresh their knowledge.
richardstan
Hi, if you have a capacitor and inductor in series connected to an Alternating Supply, do their reactances add up?
Thanks
Richard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, reactance behaves just like resistance in resistive circuits.

Ummm, they add like this 5 & 4 = 1.

Capactitive reactance is 180 degrees out of phase from inductive reactance, so you actually subtract one from the another.

It's good to go back to the definitions. In series,

[tex]Z= i\omega L + \frac{1}{i\omega C}[/tex]

where [tex]X_{L}=Im(Z)[/tex]

Last edited:
I miswrote, sorry. I thought I saw "impedance" instead of "reactance". But why are you considering reactances and not impedances? The former is part of the latter.

I have a generator that needs a new capasitor and I cannot find one any where! can someone tell me what size I need for a kawaqsaki 5.0 ops FA210D modle number: GGK-26-B serile number KJ19-78B
KW: 2.65 Amps:22 KVA: 2.65 Phase:1
voltage: 120 RPM:3600
HZ: 60
would appreciate anyons help!
russhart70
or give me a formula,? PLZ.

Phrak said:
[tex]Z= i\omega L + \frac{1}{i\omega C} [/tex]
[tex] = i\omega L - \frac{i}{\omega C} [/tex]

because: 1/i = -i

So, they subtract.

it has been 12 years since i graduated collage, and can't quit understand the formula, I wired two capasitors together and now I am pushing 175 volts out of this generator? cannot rember wat I did?? I am a licenced electrician, and I guess its been to long since I have had to figure this stuff out!

goin to get my books out real quick!

do not understand wat L = wat I know is P=wats I = amps E=volts R=omes

I guess I AM

1. What is the purpose of connecting a capacitor and an inductor in series?

The purpose of connecting a capacitor and an inductor in series is to create a resonant circuit, which can store and release energy at a specific frequency. This can be useful in applications such as filtering, tuning, and oscillation in electronic circuits.

2. How does the impedance of a series capacitor and inductor circuit change with frequency?

The impedance of a series capacitor and inductor circuit is inversely proportional to frequency. This means that as frequency increases, the impedance decreases, and vice versa. At the resonant frequency, the impedance is at its minimum value, allowing for maximum energy transfer.

3. Can a series capacitor and inductor circuit act as a high pass filter?

Yes, a series capacitor and inductor circuit can act as a high pass filter. At low frequencies, the capacitor has a higher impedance, blocking the flow of current. As the frequency increases, the impedance of the inductor decreases, allowing for current to flow through. This creates a high pass filter effect.

4. What happens to the voltage and current in a series capacitor and inductor circuit at resonance?

At resonance, the voltage and current in a series capacitor and inductor circuit are at their maximum values. This is because the impedance of both components is at its minimum, allowing for maximum energy transfer. The voltage and current are in phase with each other, meaning they reach their peaks and troughs at the same time.

5. How are the capacitance and inductance values chosen for a series capacitor and inductor circuit?

The capacitance and inductance values for a series capacitor and inductor circuit are chosen based on the desired resonant frequency. The formula for calculating the resonant frequency is f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the frequency in hertz, L is the inductance in henrys, and C is the capacitance in farads. By manipulating this formula, the appropriate values for L and C can be determined.