Drawing the Domain for Double Integral of Function of Two Variable

In summary: However, let's say the function is very complicated to draw, or there is no picture of the function. In that case, we would need to use calculus to find the limits of the function.provide an example.
Handala
This is not for a specific problem, just in general:
If we want to find the double integral of a function of two varaible, when we got other 1 varaible function to define the domain. What are the basics of drawing the domain in 2d (x, y only)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "other 1 variable function" refer to? I don't see what the domain of the function f(x,y) has got to do with the double integral of f(x,y) over a given region.

All I meant is how to fine the region D of the function to know the limits of each variable?

Handala said:
All I meant is how to fine the region D of the function to know the limits of each variable?

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2452/graphoy9.png

rule is first define limits for the changing var (see blue line), and then integrate constants.

Limit is simply f(x) to g(x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Handala said:

How you do that depends strongly on the particular region. Since you say this is for a specific problem, what is the specific problem? What region are you talking about?

HallsofIvy said:
How you do that depends strongly on the particular region. Since you say this is for a specific problem, what is the specific problem? What region are you talking about?

First thanks for replying. I said its not for a specific problem. However, let's take this for any example:
(Find the volume of the solid that lies under the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2, above the xy-plane, and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=2x.)
I think we should convert to Polar coordinate. I know how to find r, but the problem is how to find the angle (theta).

Now for other problems, when you have the couple of function, how do we find the the region D, I know some would say draw the function, but some functions are hard for me to draw them. Hope some one knows a techinque of how to find the limit or the region D (The domain).

rootX said:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2452/graphoy9.png

rule is first define limits for the changing var (see blue line), and then integrate constants.

Limit is simply f(x) to g(x)

1st thanks for replying.
I see what you mean, but what if there is no picture of the function. If we only given couple of functions, what the best method to follow to find the region D?

Last edited by a moderator:
Handala said:
1st thanks for replying.
I see what you mean, but what if there is no picture of the function. If we only given couple of functions, what the best method to follow to find the region D?

provide an example.

we can always draw D from functions .. in most simple cases

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region.

2. How do you draw the domain for a double integral?

The domain for a double integral is typically represented as a two-dimensional region on a graph. To draw the domain, you need to identify the bounds of the region for both variables. This can be done by examining the given function and determining the values that will make it valid.

3. What is the purpose of drawing the domain for a double integral?

The domain for a double integral helps to visualize the region over which the integration is being performed. This is important because the bounds of the region will affect the final value of the integral. It also helps to ensure that the integral is being evaluated over the correct region.

4. What are some common techniques for drawing the domain of a double integral?

Some common techniques for drawing the domain of a double integral include graphing the function, determining the bounds of the region by setting the function equal to zero, and using symmetry to simplify the region. It is also helpful to use the given limits of integration to determine the bounds of the region.

5. Are there any restrictions on the shape of the region when drawing the domain for a double integral?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the shape of the region when drawing the domain for a double integral. The region must be bounded and have a finite area in order for the integral to be valid. It also cannot have any holes or intersect itself.