Internal resistance of a batery

In summary, the internal resistance of a DC source of voltage refers to the resistance within the source itself, which can be influenced by factors such as the concentration and velocity of charges. This resistance can also be related to chemical contributions, such as the mean time for a reaction to occur or the velocity of diffusion of charges through an acid solution.
DaTario
Hi All,

I would like to know what is the precise meaning of the internal resistance of a DC source of voltage.
Does it have some chemical contribution (as for instance, mean time for the reaction to occur, mean velocity of difusion of charge through the acid solution, or something like this) ?

Thank you.

Sincerely Yours

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right. And any resistance can be considered as you mentioned. The concentration of charges, the drift (may be the same as diffusion you mentioned, but I think diffusion relates to the gradient of charge density not electric field) velocity of charges, the number of charges one particle keep with.

Hello DaTario,

The internal resistance of a battery refers to the resistance that exists within the battery itself, as opposed to the external resistance in a circuit. It is a measure of how much the battery's voltage will drop when a current is drawn from it. This internal resistance is due to the materials and design of the battery, and can vary depending on the type and condition of the battery.

The chemical contribution to the internal resistance of a battery is related to the battery's internal chemical reactions. These reactions can create resistance within the battery, as ions and electrons move through the battery's components. The mean time for these reactions to occur and the mean velocity of charge diffusion can also impact the internal resistance of a battery.

Overall, the internal resistance of a battery is an important factor to consider when using it as a power source, as it can affect the battery's performance and lifespan. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you.

1. What is internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery refers to the resistance that the battery itself offers to the flow of electric current. It is caused by the resistance of the battery's materials and affects the overall performance and efficiency of the battery.

2. Why is internal resistance important?

Internal resistance is important because it affects the voltage and current output of a battery. As internal resistance increases, the voltage output of the battery decreases and the battery can become less efficient at delivering power to devices.

3. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance is typically measured by applying a known load to the battery and measuring the voltage drop. The internal resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I), where R is the internal resistance, V is the voltage drop, and I is the current.

4. What are the factors that affect internal resistance?

The factors that affect internal resistance include the type of battery (e.g. alkaline, lithium-ion, etc.), the age of the battery, the temperature, and the chemical composition of the battery's electrolyte solution.

5. How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using high-quality batteries, avoiding extreme temperatures, and properly charging and maintaining the batteries. Using batteries with a lower internal resistance can also help improve overall battery performance.