Probability of Beta Particle Detection from Uniformly Covered Surface

In summary, we have a 10 cm x 10 cm surface covered in radioactive material that emits beta particles in all directions with equal probability. A detector, located 0.47625 cm above the center of the surface, is a circle with a diameter of 3.9 cm. Assuming equal probability of emissions and constant emission rates from all surfaces, the probability that emissions will hit the detector is approximately 11.8%. This was found by integrating over the angles spanned by the detector in spherical coordinates and dividing by the full solid angle.
FastLineare
We have a surface that is 10 cm x 10 cm. That surface is uniformly covered with a radioactive material. When radioactive material decays, it has a equal probability of emitting radioactive particles, in this case beta particles, in any direction (360 degrees). We have a detector that, mathematically, you can think of as a plane. It is a circle with a diameter of 3.9 cm. The detector is located 0.47625 cm above the center of the 10 cm x 10 cm surface. If we assume that we have an equal probability that radiation particles may emit in any direction, that all surfaces of the 10 x 10 plate have equal levels of radioactivity, and that the emissions are taking place from all surfaces at constant rates, find the probability that emissions will hit the detector. By probability, what I mean is, what percentage of total emissions from the source will hit the detector.

Any thoughts or recommended algorithms would be appreciated. I've tried a few different approaches but am not confident in the theoretical results I've obtained.

Thanks,

FastLineare

Physics news on Phys.org
10x10cm^2 / area of sphere

malawi_glenn said:
10x10cm^2 / area of sphere

Thank you for your response.

Percentage = 100_cm^2/(11.9_cm^2) = 8.40 = 840%

On the other hand, if I flip the ratio,

Percentage = 11.9_cm^2/100_cm^2 = 11.9%

I thought of trying this yesterday; however, I figured this was too good to be true. Shouldn't the percentage be dependent of the offset distance as well? I also struggled with the idea that all points on the emission surface are emitting particles (in reality they are not but to obtain a worst case senerio this assumption was made). Therefore, this would cover all of Real space except what is taken in by the detector.

Thanks,

FastLineare

oh, dude, I read 3.9 METERS ! ;-)Consider this picture in the x-y plane (wait til approved by moderator). find which angles theta and phi the detector spans.

You know spherical coordinates yes? http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

Thus integral
[tex]\int _ {\phi = 0}^{2\pi}d\phi \int _ {\theta = 0}^{\pi}sin \theta d\theta = 4\pi[/tex]

You need to know how big integral will be when integrating over the angles considered in the picture. Really easy, answer is 11.8%.

malawi_glenn said:
oh, dude, I read 3.9 METERS ! ;-)

Consider this picture in the x-y plane (wait til approved by moderator). find which angles theta and phi the detector spans.

You know spherical coordinates yes? http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

Thus integral
[tex]\int _ {\phi = 0}^{2\pi}d\phi \int _ {\theta = 0}^{\pi}sin \theta d\theta = 4\pi[/tex]

You need to know how big integral will be when integrating over the angles considered in the picture. Really easy, answer is 11.8%.

Ok...I think I see how to handle this.

What I did was computed the dbl integral above symbolically to get,

[tex]\int _ {\phi = 0}^{2\pi}d\phi \int _ {\theta = 0}^{\pi}sin \theta d\theta = -(phi-2*pi)*(cos(theta)+1) = 4\pi[/tex]

Now I can describe phi and theta in terms of the offset distance between the source and the detector so that I can optimize the efficiency.

Thanks,

FastLineare

One question I have for you though...How did you come up with the 11.8%? I'm also curious where f(theta) = sin(theta) comes from in this formula?

Thanks for your input.

don't you know how integration of volumes in spherical coordinates work?

I suggest this introduction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinates

(look for surface element, keep r fixed)

I got 11.8% by integrating phi from 0 to 2times the angle spanned by the detector in the picture. And then the same thing for theta integration. Then I took the result and divided with the full solid angle (4pi).

malawi_glenn said:
don't you know how integration of volumes in spherical coordinates work?

I suggest this introduction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinates

(look for surface element, keep r fixed)

I got 11.8% by integrating phi from 0 to 2times the angle spanned by the detector in the picture. And then the same thing for theta integration. Then I took the result and divided with the full solid angle (4pi).

I really appreciate the advice! The last time I computed double integrals was in Calc 3 a couple years ago. I now see that using integrals in practice is slightly different than when computing them in a class. I understand the basic concepts, but am rusty on the details.

Thanks alot!

1. What is a beta particle?

A beta particle is a type of ionizing radiation that is emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay. It is a high-energy electron with a negative charge.

2. How is beta particle detection used in scientific research?

Beta particle detection is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including nuclear physics, environmental science, and medical imaging. It is used to measure the energy and velocity of beta particles, which can provide valuable information about the properties of radioactive materials.

3. What are the different methods of beta particle detection?

There are several methods of beta particle detection, including gas-filled detectors, scintillation detectors, and semiconductor detectors. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, but they all rely on the interaction of beta particles with a material to produce a detectable signal.

4. How accurate is beta particle detection?

Beta particle detection is a highly accurate method of measuring the presence and properties of beta particles. However, the accuracy can be affected by factors such as the type of detector used, the energy and type of beta particles being detected, and the background radiation present in the environment.

5. Are there any safety concerns with beta particle detection?

As with any type of ionizing radiation, there are safety concerns associated with beta particle detection. Proper training and safety protocols must be followed to ensure the safe handling and use of radioactive materials and detection equipment. Exposure to high levels of beta particles can pose health risks, so caution must be taken when working with these materials.