How can we calculate the current (I) if we have cable with 25 mm size for 480V?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current (I) for a 25mm cable at 480V and what other parameters should be considered. It is determined that the maximum current is primarily determined by the load and not the cable itself. The conversation also mentions the importance of ensuring the cable can carry the current and the need for a proper insulator and jacket.
megatronic
dear engineer,

how can we calculate the current (I) if we have cable with 25 mm size for 480V?
and are there any other parameters we should know to calculate the current.

(for plant project purpose)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking what the maximum safe current is for this size of cable, or asking how much current you have when you short out 480V with a segment of this cable?

If you're asking how much current is carried to a load when using a 480V supply, this is determined chiefly by the load, and not the cable (though clearly, you need to ensure that the cable can carry that current, otherwise you'll just have burnt / melted cable)

thanx MATLABdude, you are right the cable should be chosen by considering the load and the current carried to the load.
however what I meant is the maximum current appropriate for this size of cable.

megatronic said:
thanx MATLABdude, you are right the cable should be chosen by considering the load and the current carried to the load.
however what I meant is the maximum current appropriate for this size of cable.

Is 25 mm the diameter or do you mean 25 mm^2 for the cross-sectional area?

CS

stewartcs said:
Is 25 mm the diameter or do you mean 25 mm^2 for the cross-sectional area?

CS

the cross section 25mm^2

That sounds like it's somewhere between 3 and 4 AWG cable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

The ampacities are listed for various insulator temperature ratings. You also need to ensure that the jacket is rated for the voltage that it's carrying (otherwise, you might have arcing through the insulation between cables lying side by side).

thanx MATLABdude the link will be useful

visit this site.
Simply and quickly..

http://www.incable.somee.com

calculating drop-voltage, current control

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the current (I) related to the cable size and voltage?

The current (I) is directly proportional to the cable size and voltage. This means that as the cable size increases, the current also increases, and as the voltage increases, the current also increases.

2. What is the formula for calculating current (I) with a 25 mm cable size and 480V?

The formula for calculating current (I) is I = P/V, where P is the power and V is the voltage. With a 25 mm cable size and 480V, the formula becomes I = P/480.

3. How do I determine the power (P) in order to calculate the current (I)?

The power (P) can be determined by using the formula P = VI, where V is the voltage and I is the current. In this case, the voltage is known (480V) and the current is what we are trying to calculate, so rearranging the formula gives us P = VI.

4. Is there a standard value for the current (I) in this scenario?

No, there is no standard value for the current (I) as it depends on the specific electrical system and its requirements. The calculated value will vary based on the power demand and other factors.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated current (I)?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated current (I), such as the type of cable insulation, ambient temperature, and cable length. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the current (I) for a specific application.