Possible Extensometer Design Using Single Beam and Strain Gages

• Thread starter Oulrish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation revolves around designing an extensometer that uses a single beam and strain gages as sensing elements. The design should include specifications for the strain gages, circuitry, and input and output requirements. The material for the beam and its properties should also be specified. The possibility of such a design is discussed, with the condition that the displacement is not too great. The conversation also includes a request for information on extensometers and a link to resources for further research. There is also a clarification on the design, with the question of whether the extensometer should have two beams or just one.
Oulrish
Extensometer research(URGENT)

I have been asked to design an extensometer (relative displacement sensor) that uses a single beam as the structure and strain gages as the sensing elements. Design a suitable device and be sure to include a list of specifications for the strain gages used including circuitry, and input and output requirements. Also be sure to specify the material used for the beam and properties including material limits.

Is that Possible?

Any ideas any one...?

I've been trying to work on that since 3 weeks already and am at a loss...

Engineering news on Phys.org

Sure it's possible (and is already done) as long as the displacement isn't too much.

Hi Fred,

Could you direct me on where to find info on such extensometers. I have been trying to search but havenot been able to find any. Thank you

Hi Fred,

Could you direct me on where to find info on such extensometers. I have been trying to search but havenot been able to find any. Thank you

Have you done any research on your own? The very first hit on Google:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CA4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.instron.com%2Fwa%2Flibrary%2FstreamFile2.aspx%3Fsdoc%3D551&ei=0rDlSq3gB8PSlAfh_a3oCg&usg=AFQjCNE0BsnLSe3dqDTu-Zzyo1ljccbwEg&sig2=HwF09XBFjPX4HPB0K5YTeQ

http://www.si-plan.com/content/products/measurement/exten.php

Yes I have done researches on my own, but the extensometers that I found and the ones present through your links, don't thay have two beams that act like arms?

That is why I kept getting confused as the question says to use a single beam. Correct me if I am wrong. Tahnk you.

What is an extensometer?

An extensometer is a scientific instrument used to measure changes in the length or shape of a material under stress or strain.

What is the purpose of extensometer research?

The purpose of extensometer research is to understand the mechanical properties and behavior of materials under different types and levels of stress and strain.

How does an extensometer work?

An extensometer works by attaching to a material and measuring changes in length or deformation as the material is subjected to stress. This data is then recorded and used to analyze the material's behavior.

What types of materials can be studied with an extensometer?

Extensometers can be used to study a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, rubber, ceramics, and composites.

What are some common applications of extensometer research?

Extensometer research is commonly used in industries such as engineering, materials science, and manufacturing to test the strength and durability of materials. It is also used in research and development to study the behavior of new materials and in quality control to ensure consistency in production processes.