Designing a Pump to Transfer Molten Aluminum

In summary, the person is looking for help designing a pump to transfer molten aluminum between two containers. They mention wanting to use a screw enclosed in a cylinder powered by a motor, but are open to other designs. They are also advised to contact a pump manufacturer for a complete design.
lkmwong
Sirs, I need to make a pump to draw molten aluminum from one container to another container. The first container height is 1.5m. I wish to us a screw enclosed within a cylinder and powered by a motor. Can anyone help me with the detail design of the screw and cylinder? I welcome any other design of the pump for the same purpose too. Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We are not going to do your work for you. If you have specific questions relating to the design you want to implement then you are more than welcome to ask them. If you want a total design then I would recommend contacting a pump manufacturer.

Understand. Thank you very much, Mr. Fred Garvin. Regards.

What is the purpose of designing a pump to transfer molten aluminum?

The purpose of designing a pump to transfer molten aluminum is to safely and efficiently move the aluminum from one location to another. This could be for various industrial processes, such as casting or extrusion.

What are the key considerations in designing a pump for molten aluminum?

The key considerations in designing a pump for molten aluminum include the temperature and viscosity of the aluminum, the materials used in the pump, and the overall design and construction of the pump to prevent any potential hazards.

What materials are suitable for a pump to transfer molten aluminum?

Materials that are suitable for a pump to transfer molten aluminum must have a high melting point and be resistant to corrosion and chemical reactions with the aluminum. Some common materials used include stainless steel, ceramic, and graphite.

How is the flow rate of the pump determined?

The flow rate of the pump is determined by the size and design of the pump, as well as the pressure and temperature of the molten aluminum. The pump must be able to handle the viscosity and density of the aluminum to effectively transfer it.

What safety precautions should be taken when designing a pump for molten aluminum?

Safety precautions when designing a pump for molten aluminum include ensuring the pump is properly insulated to prevent burns, using materials that are resistant to high temperatures and corrosion, and implementing emergency shut-off systems in case of any malfunctions.