Sum of Digits & Divisibility by 3: Explained

• Thread starter Juwane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, adding the digits of any number and checking if the sum is divisible by 3 can determine if the number itself is divisible by 3. This method works for numbers of more than 2 digits by using long division and continuing the process for each digit. A formal proof by induction can also be used to show that this method is valid.
Juwane
Two questions:

1. We add the digits of any number. If the sum is divisible by 3, then that number is divisible by 3. Why?

2. Does this work for a number of more than 2 digits?

Physics news on Phys.org

Juwane said:
2. Does this work for a number of more than 2 digits?

Yes.

Juwane said:
1. We add the digits of any number. If the sum is divisible by 3, then that number is divisible by 3. Why?

Because 10 = 1 (mod 9).

Consider doing long division on a number:

Your first step will be to see if 9 goes into a. If it does, then the number is
abcde... = 9000... + bcde...
which is divisible by 9 exactly if bcde... is. Otherwise, see how many times 9 goes into ab (that is, 10a + b). Clearly at least a times, right? Then you'll write a above the bar and subtract 9a from 10a + b, which is a + b. But now you're just adding the digits up. You can continue this process, getting (a + b + c)de..., (a + b + c + d)e..., and so on. It's 'easy to see' that this works. A formal proof is by induction.

First prove by induction that every number of the form [tex]10^{n}-1[/tex] is divisible by 3. Then Notice that every number can be written via decimal representation:

[tex]x=\sum^{N}_{i=0}x_{i}10^{i}=\sum^{N}_{i=0}x_{i}+\sum^{N}_{i=0}x_{i}(10^{i}-1)[/tex]

The second sum is a number divisible by three (you've proven it), so the only remaining condition for x to be divisible by three is that the first sum is. But that's just saying the sum of the digits is divisible by three.

What is the sum of digits of a number?

The sum of digits of a number refers to the result obtained by adding up all the individual digits of the number. For example, the sum of digits of the number 123 would be 1+2+3=6.

How do you find the sum of digits of a number?

To find the sum of digits of a number, you need to add up the individual digits of the number. This can be done by first separating the digits of the number and then adding them together. Alternatively, you can use a formula to find the sum of digits, which is n(n+1)/2, where n is the number of digits in the number.

Why is the sum of digits important?

The sum of digits is important in many mathematical operations. It is often used to determine if a number is divisible by another number, to find the digital root of a number, and in various other calculations. It is also a useful tool in number theory and can help identify patterns in numbers.

What is the rule for divisibility by 3?

The rule for divisibility by 3 states that a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. In other words, if the sum of digits is a multiple of 3, then the number is divisible by 3. For example, the number 27 is divisible by 3 because the sum of its digits (2+7) is 9, which is a multiple of 3.

How do you test if a number is divisible by 3 using the sum of digits?

To test if a number is divisible by 3 using the sum of digits, you need to add up all the individual digits of the number. If the sum is divisible by 3, then the number is also divisible by 3. If the sum is not divisible by 3, then the number is not divisible by 3. This is a quick and easy way to determine if a number is divisible by 3 without actually dividing the number by 3.