Clarifying the Use of C1 in Step 3: Solution to Homework Problem

• Thread starter camboguy
  • Start date
In summary, C1 is a constant used in Step 3 of solving a homework problem. It helps narrow down the possible solutions and is determined using given information or equations. It can be negative and using an incorrect value can lead to an incorrect solution.
camboguy

Homework Statement

MathProblemhelp.jpg

Hello, this is the solution to a problem that i am doing and the only thing i am confused about is why the
C1 in the third step is = to − 1/2 ln 2 √3 as stated in the last line.
=√3/2 sec θ − 1/2 ln |sec θ + tanθ| + C1

that is all i am confused about but i get the rest.

i appreciate the Help Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Subtract the last equation from the next to last to solve for C in terms of C1. Not that the relation between them matters very much. Either one is an arbitrary constant.

What is C1 in Step 3?

C1 refers to a constant that is used in Step 3 of the solution to the homework problem. It is typically a numerical value that is predetermined by the problem or can be calculated using other given information.

Why is C1 important in Step 3?

C1 is important because it allows us to find the specific solution to the homework problem. It helps us narrow down the possible solutions and gives us a more accurate answer.

How do you determine the value of C1 in Step 3?

The value of C1 can be determined by using the given information in the problem, such as initial conditions and other known values. It can also be calculated using equations or formulas provided in the problem.

Can C1 ever be negative in Step 3?

Yes, C1 can be negative in Step 3. It depends on the problem and the values used in the calculations. It is important to pay attention to the signs and units of the given information to ensure the correct value of C1 is used.

What happens if the value of C1 is incorrect in Step 3?

If the value of C1 is incorrect, it can lead to an incorrect solution to the homework problem. It is important to double check all calculations and ensure the correct value of C1 is used to obtain an accurate answer.