Function of random variable

I couldn't figure out how to do it, but I think I've seen it done before.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the PDF of a new random variable, z, which is defined as the quotient of two independent exponentially distributed random variables. The attempt at a solution involves finding the CDF of z, but the approach taken is invalid for z > 1. An alternative approach is suggested, working with the reciprocal of z, but it is unclear how to find the PDF of the reciprocal of a random variable.
dionysian

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be two independent random variables each exponentially distributed with parameter 1. Define a new random variable:

[tex]z = \frac{x}{{x + y}}[/tex]

Find the PDF of Z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{F_Z}(z) = P(Z < z) = P\left( {\frac{x}{{x + y}} < z} \right) = P\left( {x \le \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} \right) \\
{F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{f_{xy}}(x,y)dxdy} } \\
{f_{xy}}(x,y) = {f_x}(x){f_y}(y) \\
{F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{f_x}(x){f_y}(y)dxdy = } } \int\limits_0^\infty {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{e^{ - x}}{e^{ - y}}dxdy} } = \int\limits_0^\infty {{e^{ - y}}\left[ {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{e^{ - x}}dx} } \right]} dy \\
{F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty {{e^{ - y}}\left[ { - {e^{ - \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}}} + 1} \right]} dy = \int\limits_0^\infty { - {e^{ - y}}{e^{ - \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}}} + {e^{ - y}}} dy = \int\limits_0^\infty { - {e^{ - \frac{{y(1 - z) - zy}}{{1 - z}}}} + {e^{ - y}}} dy \\
{F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty { - {e^{ - \frac{y}{{1 - z}}}} + {e^{ - y}}} dy = (1 - z){e^{ - \frac{y}{{1 - z}}}}|_0^\infty - {e^{ - y}}|_0^\infty = z \\
\end{array}[/tex]
Now i know that if i take the derivative of this i will get the "pdf" but its obviously wrong. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
dionysian said:
[tex]P\left( {\frac{x}{{x + y}} < z} \right) = P\left( {x \le \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} \right)[/tex]

This step is invalid if [itex]z > 1[/itex]. (The inequality gets reversed in that case.)

But you could instead write

[tex]P\left( \frac{x}{x+y} < z \right) = P\left(y > \frac{x(1-z)}{z}\right) = 1 - P\left(y \leq \frac{x(1-z)}{z}\right)[/tex]

I'm not sure if that will be any more helpful, but at least it's correct.

I wonder if it would be helpful to work with the reciprocal:

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{x + y}{x} = 1 + \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

It shouldn't be hard to work out the pdf of

[tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

as it is the quotient of two independent random variables. Adding 1 just shifts the pdf to the right by 1. Then do you know how to find the pdf of the reciprocal of a random variable with known pdf?

Last edited:

What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical value that is determined by chance or randomness. It is usually denoted by a capital letter, such as X or Y.

What is the function of a random variable?

The function of a random variable is to assign a probability to each possible outcome of a random experiment. This allows us to measure the likelihood of certain events occurring.

What is the difference between a discrete and continuous random variable?

A discrete random variable can only take on a countable number of values, while a continuous random variable can take on any value within a given range. For example, the number of heads in a series of coin flips is a discrete random variable, while the height of a person is a continuous random variable.

How is the function of a random variable represented?

The function of a random variable is typically represented by a probability distribution, which shows the probabilities associated with each possible outcome. This can be shown in the form of a table, graph, or mathematical equation.

What are some real-world examples of random variables?

Some common examples of random variables include the number of cars that pass through a toll booth in a day, the amount of rain that falls in a given area, and the time it takes for a customer to be served at a restaurant. These variables are all influenced by chance and can take on different values in different situations.