Calculating Force on a Ramp Using GPE: Clive's Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done and gravitational potential energy when lifting a block of weight 10N through a vertical height of 1 metre. The speakers also discuss the force required to pull the block up a smooth ramp with no friction and the validity of using g.p.e. gained through vertical motion to calculate a force in a horizontal direction. They suggest using the formula F = mg sinθ to calculate the force required parallel to the ramp and compare it to the increase in gravitational potential energy.
elvinc
Hi,
I'm not quite getting this.

Say we lift a block of weight 10N through a vertical height of 1 metre. So the work done is 10 x 1 = 10J. This 10J equals the g.p.e. Of the block.

Now we pull the block up the same height of 1 metre but along a smooth, straight ramp (no friction between block and ramp surface) for a sloping distance 5 metres. The force is acting parallel to the surface of the ramp.

At the end of the pulling up the ramp the block still has a g.p.e. of 10J. So we can work out the force required to pull the block = g.p.e gained / horizontal distance moved = 10 / 5 = 2N

But I feel I am cutting fast and loose to use the g.p.e which is gained by vertical motion to calculate a force in a horizontal (or at least sloping) direction. It just doesn't feel valid to me. What am I missing? Sorry question is a bit vague but that reflects my view on this.

Thanks

Clive

Physics news on Phys.org
elvinc said:
But I feel I am cutting fast and loose to use the g.p.e which is gained by vertical motion to calculate a force in a horizontal (or at least sloping) direction. It just doesn't feel valid to me. What am I missing? Sorry question is a bit vague but that reflects my view on this.
Try calculating the force required parallel to the ramp to just overcome gravity: F = mg sinθ

Use that to figure out the work done and compare that to the increase in gravitational potential energy.

1. How do you calculate the force on a ramp using GPE?

To calculate the force on a ramp using GPE (Gravitational Potential Energy), you will need to use the formula F = mgh, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object on the ramp.

2. What is GPE and how does it relate to the force on a ramp?

GPE (Gravitational Potential Energy) is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It relates to the force on a ramp because when an object is placed on a ramp, it has a certain height and mass, which determines its potential energy. This potential energy then gets converted into the force that causes the object to move down the ramp.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating force on a ramp using GPE?

Sure, let's say we have a 5kg object placed on a ramp with a height of 2 meters. Using the formula F = mgh, we can calculate the force as follows: F = (5kg)(9.8m/s^2)(2m) = 98N. Therefore, the force on the ramp is 98 Newtons.

4. Does the angle of the ramp affect the force calculated using GPE?

Yes, the angle of the ramp does affect the force calculated using GPE. The steeper the ramp, the greater the force will be as the object will have a higher potential energy at a greater height. This means that the force on a ramp will be higher when the ramp is at a steeper angle compared to a shallower angle.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force on a ramp calculated using GPE?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force on a ramp calculated using GPE. These include the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the ramp. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also affect the force on a ramp by decreasing it, as they act as opposing forces to the motion of the object.