Discover the Best Computer Games: Our Top Picks for RTCW and HALO

In summary, the best computer games mentioned in this conversation include Railroad Tycoon II, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Caesar, Simcity, Call of Duty, Populous, Half Life, Counterstrike, Simcity 4, MS Flight Simulator 2004, Orbiter Space Flight Simulator, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Rogue Spear, Total Annihilation, Age of Empires, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City, Doom 3, Jeopardy 2003, You Don't Know Jack, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
Tom McCurdy
What do you guys think are the best computer games out there?

I would have to say I am very partial to RTCW and HALO

Computer science news on Phys.org
I like games that are:

Railroad Tycoon II
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Theme Park
Theme Hospital
Caesar
Simcity

I also like real-time strategy games.

Call of Duty is one of the best FPS I've ever played. I really enjoy the fact that you go to war not by yourself, but with teammates (bots) helping you out and some circumstances saving you from getting shot or killed.

I don't understand why they don't make most FPS like this because going through the same mission all by your lonesome can get quite redundant.

Last edited:
Call of Duty is one of the best FPS I've ever played. I really enjoy the fact that you go to war not by yourself, but with teammates (bots) helping you out and some circumstances saving you from getting shot or killed.

That game is great. It adds to the realism when you aren't constantly put in suicide missions. I wish the whole game was with fellow soldiers. I couldn't stand that annoying solo mission on the boat.

Populous...

Aww, you guys suck.

Half life all the way!
Counterstrike is second.

Half life 2 coming soon! :biggrin:

Simulation:

SimCity 4 (with Rush Hour expansion)
MS Flight Simulator 2004
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Orbiter Space Flight Simulator (free)

First Person Shooters:

Half Life
Red Faction
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Rogue Spear

Strategy (turn based):

Civilization I and III
Alpha Centauri

Strategy (real time):

Total Annihilation (with Core Contingency expansion)
Age of Empires I and II

Other good stuff:

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2,3,4
Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City
Doom 3 (Only for the graphics if your comp can handle it)
Jeopardy 2003 (the free one u get in cereal boxes)
You Don’t Know Jack – The Ride

I’ll add to my list as soon as I sober up and can remember more.

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
Combat Mission: Africa Korps

http://battlefront.com/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
Combat Mission: Africa Korps

http://battlefront.com/index.htm

:rofl: :rofl: Your experience about combat has left a mark on your computer times :biggrin:

I absolutely agree with Amwbonfire: Half Life.

And to add something: the Quake series were also good games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half-Life? haha. :confused:

No, in order to get the true masterpieces you should go back even further. ID Software, John Carmack!
Return to castle wolfenstein,
Doom,
my favorite Commander Keen!
and many others.

Do i have to say anything else?
Although, if i am going to name a NEW great game it would have to be the Splinter Cell serie. Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and the upcomming Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

space empires, X-COM and goldeneye for N64

Civilization

Overall best game ever is halo

Halo took up more of my life than I would like to admit

The game I've been most addicted to in my life is: simcity 4000, rollercoaster tycoon, half life, doom3, x-com, heroes of might and magic 3, serious sam

All you have been mentioning doom 3--- taht just came out... I wasn't very impressed with the actual game play although the grapics were to die for. I also heard the game was really easy to beat and my friend beat it in a couple of days

FPS : Medal of Honor

DOOM 3
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (multiplayer rocks!)
Battlefield 1942
Lords of the Realm II

Half Life
Bladur's Gate Saga
Space Empires IV
Starcraft

In that order

What about HALO
doesn't anyone here play halo

Including on the box

I'm sorry people but doom3 is overrated. Its graphics are great, but that's what the game was made for. Doom3 was made for the engine, not the gameplay.

edit: /me gives another shout out to space empires IV :tongue2:

I agree with you DarkAnt I was actually very disapointed with the game play of Doom 3
although even with the nice computer I have I was unable to run doom on nething except the lowest setting
i need a nice vid card

DarkAnt said:
I'm sorry people but doom3 is overrated. Its graphics are great, but that's what the game was made for.

And the graphics were amazing, thus making it a great game for it's purpose.
:smile:

I mistyped... I meant to say it had great graphics but that's not just what the game was made for... but you were right in the way it stands right now.

If i game is made for a purpose and it fulfils the purpose then it has done its job, but Doom 3 wasn't supose to be just pretty it was supose to be the next amazing game
the next halo

it to me was very
disappointing
although i will have to give it another try when i get a darn video card

Graphics don't last, gameplay does

Max Payne & Max Payne 2 are games with extremely cool graphic and fascinating scenarios!
Speaking about adrenaline-boosting games - Unreal Tournament (2004) does the job!
I think its not necessary to speak about such giants as GTA and Mafia which force to to plunge into the real movie for a while :)
And - yes! Heroes of Might and Magic 3... i remember the long winter evenings with a hoards of Green and Gold dragons fighting hand to hand with angels and elves against the legions of undead skeletons, vampires and lyches, defending castles and bastions and making their way, leaded by noble ragners (Kyrre!) and wizards, through magic forests and flaming lands to find ambush... or grail... :)

My favourites:

Quake 3
Red Alert 2
Soldier of Fortune 2

I only play Age of Empires. I had not realized that I've been missing out on so much! : This thread has been a real life saver for me. :smile:

I do beleave you forgot one of the most epic games Deus Ex... has to be one of them best games ever... it may be a dated game but still number one in my book. BTW call of duty is a very good game, it adds so much realism to the game its not funny. and doom3 is a damn good game it was alil too easy but i played it on very easy so what would you expect? but the story in doom 3 is very well planed story

Gokul43201 said:
FPS : Medal of Honor
If You mean "Medal of Honour: Alien Assault", then what do you think about Wolfenstein 2 (also about WW II)? :smile:

I still like to play RTCW
Some of the moded maps are sweet (ruiner)
and then if you get bored there always the clasics (beach)
after playing RTCW other games just seem slow like halo

1. What are the top picks for RTCW and HALO?

The top picks for RTCW (Return to Castle Wolfenstein) and HALO are subjective and vary depending on personal preferences. However, some popular choices among gamers include Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, and Battlefield for RTCW, and Destiny, Overwatch, and Apex Legends for HALO.

2. Are these games suitable for all ages?

Both RTCW and HALO are rated M for Mature, meaning they are recommended for players aged 17 and above. These games contain violence, blood, and strong language, making them unsuitable for younger audiences.

3. What makes these games stand out from others in the same genre?

RTCW and HALO are both first-person shooter games, but they have unique features that set them apart from other games in the same genre. RTCW has a compelling storyline, intense gameplay, and impressive graphics, while HALO offers a vast open-world to explore, a variety of weapons and vehicles, and a captivating sci-fi narrative.

4. Can these games be played on all computer systems?

Both RTCW and HALO are available on multiple platforms, including PC, Xbox, and PlayStation. However, it is essential to check the system requirements before purchasing the game to ensure it is compatible with your computer.

5. Are there any expansions or updates available for these games?

RTCW and HALO have several expansions and updates available, providing players with new maps, weapons, and game modes to keep the gameplay fresh and exciting. It is recommended to check for updates regularly to enhance the gaming experience.