How do I asses the % of light transmission that passes through glass

In summary, you should test the light transmission of the glass you have by shining a white light on it and measuring the intensity on the other side. You can use a photodiode to do this.
johnstar
I am currently building a solar panel. I have sheets of glass that I collected, some is saftey glass and some are tempered (probably the same). I have read that Low Iron Tempered glass has 91% light transmission. How do I test the glass that I have for its light transmission?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Measure light intensity before entering glass, measure on the other side, compare.

Thanks Borek. What instrument is best to use to measure the light?

johnstar said:
Thanks Borek. What instrument is best to use to measure the light?

A photodiode.

BTW, you DO know that different frequencies will be attenuated differently, don't you?

Zz.

OK, Zz already addressed the problem, while I was busy with other things.

In general device you are looking for is called a photometer. However, whole thing is not as easy as you seem to be thinking, as the result will depend on the wavelength - in other words, transmission for different colors will be different. (When we speak about wavelength and/or frequency, we speak about the same thing). So, before you will want to measure something, you have to know which part of the spectrum you are really interested in. Or, if you are thinking about solar panel used to heat the water, you will be interested in transmission of not only visible light, but also about infrared.

Broadband detectors with very flat absorption spectra do exist for lasers: www.gentec-eo.com. You could simply focus sunlight on one.

Perhaps they also exist specifically for sunlight.

Last edited:
The easiest/fastest way to completely characterize the glass in the way that ZaperZ is talking about is to use a spectrometer. There are a lot of cheap (relative of course, ~3kish) compact prism spectrometers that do an amazing job of this. The one i use all the time is an Ocean Optics HR-4000. Since you said you're trying to build the solar panels yourself I'm going to assume that you don't want to spend that much on a spectrometer to do this. That said here's what you would do if you can get a hold of one.

What you need:

White light broadband source
Your glass
Spectrometer

Generally you take a dark spectra and subtract it to get rid of some of the electronic noise. Then take a spectra without the glass in the way. Insert glass and take another spectra.

Use the transmission calculation on the spectrometer to figure out what wavelengths are being absorbed and at what percentages. You could also do this with a grating spectrometer and step through the wavelengths but that will be even harder, although possibly cheaper since you could find one on ebay.

The real question is do you really need to know the absorption coefficients for that glass at different wavelengths? I would say no. Because the responsivity of a photodiode changes with wavelength you won't get an accurate power reading from one because you don't know the spectral makeup of the light hitting it.

However, as Dr Lots-o'watts said above a broadband detector (usually called a thermopile detector) will do a very good job of this because the responsivity changes very little with respect to wavelength. They are still pretty expensive (1kish new) but you may be able to buy the thermopile by itself somewhere and use an op-amp circuit to amplify if needed.

Last edited:
When you are going to buy glass, take a small hand-held solar battery charger, or just a small solar cell hooked up to a meter. See if the glass blocks the power generation, or to what extent it does.

My solar charger doesn't work at all in my car, because the windows block the specific wavelengths it needs, even though it doesn't appear dark to the eye. So it's best to test against the real use.

Thansk JDlugosz that seems a simple and effective way. The glass is for a PV solar design and I have them ready to go.

What is the process for assessing the % of light transmission through glass?

The process for assessing the % of light transmission through glass involves several steps. First, you will need to gather all necessary materials, including a spectrophotometer, a glass sample, and a light source. Next, you will need to calibrate the spectrophotometer using a blank reference sample. Then, place the glass sample in the spectrophotometer and measure the light transmission at various wavelengths. Finally, use the measurements to calculate the % of light transmission through the glass.

What factors can affect the % of light transmission through glass?

Several factors can affect the % of light transmission through glass. These include the type of glass, the thickness of the glass, the presence of coatings or films on the glass, and the angle at which the light is passing through the glass. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the % of light transmission through glass.

Is there a standard measurement for assessing the % of light transmission through glass?

Yes, there is a standard measurement for assessing the % of light transmission through glass. It is known as the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) percentage and is measured using a spectrophotometer. This measurement is typically used to determine the amount of visible light that passes through a glass sample at specific wavelengths.

How accurate are the % of light transmission measurements for glass?

The accuracy of % of light transmission measurements for glass can vary depending on several factors, including the equipment used, the calibration process, and the skill of the person performing the measurement. Generally, using a high-quality spectrophotometer and following proper calibration procedures can result in accurate and reliable measurements.

Can the % of light transmission through glass be improved?

Yes, the % of light transmission through glass can be improved by using different types of glass, such as low-E glass or tinted glass, which are designed to have higher levels of light transmission. Additionally, coatings or films can be applied to the glass to improve its light transmission properties. Proper cleaning and maintenance of the glass can also help to maintain its % of light transmission over time.