How to make my own color scale (ColorData) on Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses using Mathematica to create plots with color schemes similar to those used in gnuplot. The question is how to create a color scheme, with the example of using a command in gnuplot to set a palette model with RGB color info from a data file. Suggestions for achieving this are provided, including a helpful link to a post on Stack Overflow. The post mentions importing data files with RGB color coordinates in different formats and the OP expresses gratitude for the help.
abonatto
Dear All,

I started to use Mathematica to make some plots I usually did with gnuplot. I know it has some great color schemes, but I would like to be able to use the same I was using in gnuplot.

The question is: how could I create a color scheme? In gnuplot I just used the following command set palette model RGB file "FILE.TXT", and the FILE.TXT has the RGB color info:

0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000
0.25000 0.00000 0.00000 1.00000
1.00000 1.00000 1.00000 1.00000

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Simon: thanks for your help!

The post is really about what I am looking for. I just have not figured out (yet) how to import my data file with RGB color " coordinates": his file (colorMapJet.mat) has a HDF5 format:

cMap = Transpose@Import["path-to-colorMapJet.mat", {"HDF5",
"Datasets", "cMap"}];

and mine should be (I think) imported like a table; I changed the format {"Table", ...} but it did not work.

I will keep trying: thanks again!

1. How do I create my own color scale on Mathematica?

To create a custom color scale on Mathematica, you can use the ColorData function. This function takes in a number or a list of numbers and returns a color based on the chosen color scale.

2. Can I customize the colors in my color scale?

Yes, you can customize the colors in your color scale by using the ColorData function with different parameters. You can specify the starting and ending colors, as well as the number of colors in between.

3. How can I save my custom color scale for future use?

You can save your custom color scale by defining it as a function and then using the Save function to save it as a .m file. This file can then be loaded in future Mathematica sessions to access your custom color scale.

4. Is it possible to create a discrete color scale instead of a continuous one?

Yes, it is possible to create a discrete color scale by using the ColorFunction option in functions such as Plot or ListPlot. This allows you to specify a list of colors to be used for specific values or ranges of values.

5. Can I use my own color palette for my custom color scale?

Yes, you can use your own color palette for your custom color scale by creating a list of RGB values or using the Blend function to create a smooth transition between colors. You can also use pre-defined color palettes from sources such as ColorBrewer or Adobe Color.