Question about Universal Gravitation

In summary: The projectile will rise to a height of 5.76 km above the Earth's surface. Ignore air resistance and the rotation of the Earth.
motionman04
How much energy is required to move a 1070 kg object from the Earth's surface to an altitude four times the Earth's radius?

Having problems with this question.

I figure it would be GMm(1/r(final) - 1/r(initial)), with the final being 4x Earth's radius, and initial being Earth's radius. I plugged in the constants for G, and M(earth), but the answer I'm getting is wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W=\Delta{E_{P_{g}}}[/tex]

[tex]E_{P_{g}}=-\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

Watch the signs.

hmm, I tried with the signs, however, looks like there's something up with the number I'm getting

What answer are you getting? The number should be positive, and the formula you're using will fetch you a negative number.

Well, I used (6.37x10^6)(4), to get Rfinal, since that is the Earth's radius times 4, and I use 6.37E6 for Rinitial, since the particle starts on the Earth's surface. Of course, G and M are constants, and I used 1070 for the mass of the object. Plugging everything in, I get

- (6.67E-11)(5.98E24)(1070)(1/25480000 - 1/6370000) = 5.025E10

You're misreading the problem : altitude of 4X the Earth's radius. They did not say to a distance from the Earth's center of mass of 4X the Earth's radius. Do you see now ?

I see what you mean, so what would Rfinal be?

Its 2AM, the reason why I'm asking stupid questions :smile:

motionman04 said:
I see what you mean, so what would Rfinal be?

Its 2AM, the reason why I'm asking stupid questions :smile:

Five times the Earth's radius. If you can't see why this is so, please post.

Just a piece of advice:it's not indicated to (try to ) solve physics problems at 2AM,especially in the weekend,when you have enough time (i think) during the day...

Daniel.

Curious3141 said:
Five times the Earth's radius. If you can't see why this is so, please post.

Wait, but I did set that as Rfinal, four times the Earth's radius, and came out with the answer that I got before. Am I supposed to do it based on 5x the radius? If that is so, I'm kinda confused :confused:

Yes."move a 1070 kg object from the Earth's surface to an altitude four times the Earth's radius".I think the word "altitude" is referred wrt the Earth's surface,therefore the distance between the orbit and the Earth's center is the altitude+Earth's radius which is 5 times the Earth's radius...So [itex] 5R_{E} [/itex] is your [itex] R_{fin} [/itex].

Daniel.

Yes, that worked out. Thanks a lot for the help. I actually have one more question:

At the Earth's surface a projectile is launched straight up at a speed of 10.3 km/s. To what height will it rise? Ignore air resistance and the rotation of the Earth.

Now this question is listed under Universal gravitation, but looking through the formula's I can't seem to find one that can fit with this problem.

Apply the law of conservation of mechanical energy.Again,pay attention with the signs,as the PE is negative (by convention,it's chosen 0 at infinity).

Daniel.

What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical force that describes the attraction between all objects with mass. It is responsible for the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and stars, as well as objects on Earth.

Who discovered universal gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering universal gravitation in the 17th century. His famous law of gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does universal gravitation affect the motion of objects?

Universal gravitation causes all objects with mass to be attracted to one another. This attraction, or force, causes objects to accelerate towards each other. The strength of the force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

What is the difference between gravitational force and universal gravitation?

Gravitational force refers to the force of attraction between two objects with mass, while universal gravitation is a fundamental physical law that describes this force. In other words, gravitational force is a specific example of universal gravitation.

Does universal gravitation apply to objects of all sizes?

Yes, universal gravitation applies to all objects with mass, regardless of their size. However, the strength of the force may vary depending on the mass and distance between the objects. For example, the gravitational force between two small objects will be much weaker than the force between two massive objects, such as planets.