Constantly record voltages and subtract voltages

• Thread starter shaggym8
  • Start date
In summary, the person is working on a opacity meter that measures the thickness of smoke coming out of the exhaust of automobiles. They have a laser pointing at a photo-diode receiver and they will be about 2 ft apart. The receiver circuit outputs a voltage depending on the intensity of the laser (the thicker the smoke, the smaller the voltage. And vice versa). The problem is that there are particles still burning in the exhaust that emit light which interfere with the laser reading. They are trying to have the laser modulate at 100Hz and record voltages when the laser is on and off. They have the laser hooked up to a function generator. When the laser is on, this would measure the voltage of the intensity of the laser
shaggym8
Hi, I am currently working on a opacity meter that measures the thickness of smoke coming out of the exhaust of automobiles. We have a laser pointing at a photo-diode receiver and they will be about 2 ft apart. The receiver circuit outputs a voltage depending on the intensity of the laser (the thicker the smoke, the smaller the voltage. And vice versa). The problem is that there are particles still burning in the exhaust that emit light which interfere with the laser reading.

So we are trying to have the laser modulate at 100Hz and record voltages when the laser is on and off. We have the laser hooked up to a function generator. When the laser is on, this would measure the voltage of the intensity of the laser plus the burning particles. Then we would record voltage when the laser is off; This would measure the voltage of the intensity of the burning particle only. Then we want to take those two voltage readings and subtract them, this would result in (Laser + Burning particles) - Burning particles = Laser. And we need to have the reading and calculation continuously.

The problem is I have no idea on how to record voltages continuously, and subtract 2 recording continuously, and output the resulting voltages. I am thinking this will require implementing a microprocessor with an internal clock and ADC, and some C coding.

Anybody have any good ideas or suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
shaggym8 said:
Hi, I am currently working on a opacity meter that measures the thickness of smoke coming out of the exhaust of automobiles. We have a laser pointing at a photo-diode receiver and they will be about 2 ft apart. The receiver circuit outputs a voltage depending on the intensity of the laser (the thicker the smoke, the smaller the voltage. And vice versa). The problem is that there are particles still burning in the exhaust that emit light which interfere with the laser reading.

So we are trying to have the laser modulate at 100Hz and record voltages when the laser is on and off. We have the laser hooked up to a function generator. When the laser is on, this would measure the voltage of the intensity of the laser plus the burning particles. Then we would record voltage when the laser is off; This would measure the voltage of the intensity of the burning particle only. Then we want to take those two voltage readings and subtract them, this would result in (Laser + Burning particles) - Burning particles = Laser. And we need to have the reading and calculation continuously.

The problem is I have no idea on how to record voltages continuously, and subtract 2 recording continuously, and output the resulting voltages. I am thinking this will require implementing a microprocessor with an internal clock and ADC, and some C coding.

Anybody have any good ideas or suggestions?

I think it depends on the DVM you are using and how many readings you taking. I know with the agielent 3458A if you take over 5000 readings they get stored inside the DVM memory before you can suck them back out.

Modulating the laser is a good idea, just use a lock-in-amplifier to get your absorption signal. (In the long run it may even be more economic than designing, building and testing some "homebrew" solution)

1. What is the purpose of constantly recording and subtracting voltages?

The purpose of constantly recording and subtracting voltages is to measure and monitor changes in electrical potential over time. This can help identify patterns, fluctuations, and abnormalities in the voltage levels, which can provide valuable insights in various scientific and engineering applications.

2. How is this process beneficial in scientific research?

Constantly recording and subtracting voltages allows for accurate and precise measurements of electrical activity, which can be used to study the behavior of electrical systems and understand their underlying mechanisms. This process is particularly useful in fields such as neuroscience, physics, and bioengineering.

3. What equipment is needed to constantly record and subtract voltages?

To constantly record and subtract voltages, you will need a voltage sensor or probe, a data logger or recording software, and a computer or device to analyze and store the data. Depending on the specific experiment or study, other specialized equipment may also be required.

4. What are the potential limitations of constantly recording and subtracting voltages?

One potential limitation is the accuracy and precision of the equipment used, as well as external factors that may affect the voltage readings such as electromagnetic interference or signal noise. Additionally, the data collected may need to be carefully analyzed and interpreted to avoid drawing incorrect conclusions.

5. Can constantly recording and subtracting voltages be used in real-time applications?

Yes, constantly recording and subtracting voltages can be used in real-time applications such as monitoring and controlling electrical systems. This can be particularly useful in industries such as power distribution, manufacturing, and telecommunications where precise voltage levels are crucial for efficient and safe operation.