Indices Notation: Equivalent Notation to Sigma & Pi

In summary, indices notation is a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication or addition and is also known as exponential or power notation. It is related to sigma and pi notation which are used for repeated addition and multiplication respectively. The equivalent notations to sigma and pi notation in indices notation include the capital letters sigma (Σ) and pi (Π) followed by the expression being summed or multiplied, a lower bound, and an upper bound. Indices notation can also be used for other mathematical operations such as division, subtraction, and roots, but sigma and pi notation are specifically used for summation and product operations.
Big-Daddy
Is there an equivalent notation to Capital Pi notation (multiplier) and Sigma notation (summer) for raising to the power?

e.g. x1^x2^x3^x4...^xn=Notation(i=1 to i=n)(xi)

Where "Notation" represents the symbol in question (analogous to Sigma for sums, Capital Pi for multiplication)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You mean something like:
$$\Xi_{i=1}^n x_i = x_1^{x_2^{x_3^{\cdots x_n}}}$$ ... no.

1. What is indices notation?

Indices notation is a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication or addition. It is also known as exponential notation or power notation.

2. How is indices notation related to sigma and pi notation?

Sigma and pi notation are both forms of indices notation used to represent repeated addition (sigma) and multiplication (pi). They are often used in summation and product formulas respectively.

3. What is the equivalent notation to sigma notation in indices notation?

The equivalent notation to sigma notation in indices notation is the capital letter sigma (Σ) followed by the expression being summed, a lower bound, and an upper bound. For example, Σn=1^5 represents the sum of n from 1 to 5.

4. What is the equivalent notation to pi notation in indices notation?

The equivalent notation to pi notation in indices notation is the capital letter pi (Π) followed by the expression being multiplied, a lower bound, and an upper bound. For example, Πn=1^5 represents the product of n from 1 to 5.

5. Can indices notation be used for other mathematical operations?

Yes, indices notation can be used for other mathematical operations such as division, subtraction, and roots. For example, a^2+b^3 can be written as a²b³ in indices notation. However, sigma and pi notation are specifically used for summation and product operations respectively.