Force acting on a dipole in non-uniform electric field.

In summary, the force acting on a dipole due to a line charge can be calculated by finding the potential energy of the dipole in the electric field and taking the derivative with respect to distance. The potential energy can be found using the expression for a point charge in the field of a line charge, and the force can be expressed as a function of the distance to the center of the dipole. The orientation of the dipole with respect to the line charge must also be taken into account.
anirudhsharma1

Homework Statement

Calculate the force acting on a dipole of dipole moment P due to a line charge of density λ
at a distance r from it??

Homework Equations

field due to a line charge= λ/2εr

The Attempt at a Solution

tried caculating force on each individual charge but i don't see how dipole moment should come in play here?

Physics news on Phys.org
anirudhsharma1 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

tried caculating force on each individual charge but i don't see how dipole moment should come in play here?

This approach should lead to the answer. If you can show some of the details of your calculation, maybe we can see how the dipole moment will come in.

A better approach is to use energy concepts. Are you familiar with the expression for the potential energy of a dipole in an electric field? Do you know how to relate potential energy to force?

Likes Vibhor
Hello TSny ,

What is the orientation of the dipole with respect to line charge in this problem ?

Is it perpendicular to the line charge such that the center of dipole is at a distance 'r' ? Am I interpreting it correctly ?

Last edited:
Or is it that the end closer to the line charge is at a distance 'r' ?

Last edited:
The OP was not clear on the orientation. So I guess that P is oriented parallel to the E field. I think r can be taken as the distance to the center of the dipole.

Likes Vibhor
Sir,

If that is the case and if +q is closer to line charge ,then

Net force on dipole = ##\frac{2kλ}{(r-a)}q - \frac{2kλ}{(r+a)}q## = ##-\frac{2kλ\vec{p}}{(r^2-a^2)}##

If I consider r>>a ,then net force = ##-\frac{2kλ\vec{p}}{r^2}##

Have I done it correctly ?

Looks very good. I believe that's correct.

TSny said:
A better approach is to use energy concepts. Are you familiar with the expression for the potential energy of a dipole in an electric field? Do you know how to relate potential energy to force?

Here I have a doubt . First I will show the work .

Potential Energy of a dipole in Electric field is ##U =-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{E}## . Since ##\vec{p}## and ## \vec{E}## are oppositely aligned , U = pE .

##U =\frac{2kλ\vec{p}}{r}##

##F=-\frac{dU}{dr}##

##F=-\frac{2kλp}{r^2}##

Have I done it correctly ?

If you think I have done it correctly , my doubt is that even though electric field across the length of dipole is non uniform , still expression for potential energy of dipole remains ##U =-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{E}## .

But this expression for U was for uniform electric field . Can you explain it ?

Thanks .

Last edited:
I had in mind an "ideal dipole" where the length of the dipole is infinitesimally small. Then you can use ##U = -\vec{p} \cdot \vec{E}##.

For a finite length you can still use potential energy. The potential energy of a point charge ##q## in the field of the line charge is ##U = -2 k \lambda q \ln \frac{r}{r_0}## where ##r## is the distance of ##q## from the line charge and ##r_0## is an arbitrarily chosen distance from the line charge for defining zero potiential.

So, the potential energy of the dipole (for the case where the +q is farther away) is ##U = -2 k \lambda q \ln \frac{r+a}{r-a}##. Here, ##r## is the location of the center of the dipole.

You can then get the force from ##F = -\frac {dU}{dr}##.

Likes Vibhor
Thank you Sir .

Last edited:

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a distance. It can be a physical object, such as a magnet or a molecule, or it can be a concept used to describe the separation of charges in an electric field.

2. How does a non-uniform electric field affect a dipole?

In a non-uniform electric field, the strength and direction of the electric field vary at different points. This can cause a torque, or rotational force, on a dipole. The dipole will align itself in the direction of the electric field, with the positive charge facing the direction of the field and the negative charge facing away from it.

3. How do you calculate the force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field?

The force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field can be calculated using the equation F = pE, where F is the force, p is the dipole moment, and E is the electric field strength at the location of the dipole. This force is in the direction of the electric field.

4. Can a dipole experience a net force in a non-uniform electric field?

Yes, a dipole can experience a net force in a non-uniform electric field if the electric field is not parallel to the dipole. In this case, the dipole will experience a torque as well as a force, causing it to move in a curved path.

5. How can the force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field be used in practical applications?

The force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field can be used in a variety of applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in the study of molecular bonds and interactions. It can also be used to manipulate and control the movement of particles in microfluidic devices and other nanoscale technologies.