Medical Grade UPS 3000VA - Meet UL 60601-1 Requirements

• Thread starter Jetach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary: I did a Google Images search on +"60601-1" ups, and got some reasonable looking units from different manufacturers. Maybe try that search to see if the other manufacturers have medical grade units in your power range...
Jetach
Hello PF,

After doing much research, I've decided that buying a retail UPS would be a much better idea than building one from scratch even though the cost is higher.

I need to output 2kW for roughly 30 minutes.

I am looking for a 3000 VA UPS that meets medical grade requirements.

I believe that regulation is UL 60601-1, however there may be more things I may be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jetach said:
Hello PF,

After doing much research, I've decided that buying a retail UPS would be a much better idea than building one from scratch even though the cost is higher.

I need to output 2kW for roughly 30 minutes.

I am looking for a 3000 VA UPS that meets medical grade requirements.

I believe that regulation is UL 60601-1, however there may be more things I may be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a good decision. :smile:

What have you found so far via Google? I often will use Google Images for searches like this, to get better results.

berkeman said:
Sounds like a good decision. :smile:

What have you found so far via Google? I often will use Google Images for searches like this, to get better results.

So far I've only found one UPS that fits my needs which would be a Tripp Lite

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=748&txtModelID=5440

with a battery it can run 1920 Watts for 40 minutes.

It appears this is the only option available, I called up APC and their customer service didn't appear to know what the UL 60601-1 regulation was.

Jetach said:
So far I've only found one UPS that fits my needs which would be a Tripp Lite

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=748&txtModelID=5440

with a battery it can run 1920 Watts for 40 minutes.

It appears this is the only option available, I called up APC and their customer service didn't appear to know what the UL 60601-1 regulation was.

I did a Google Images search on +"60601-1" ups, and got some reasonable looking units from different manufacturers. Maybe try that search to see if the other manufacturers have medical grade units in your power range...

In your earlier thread, on 24 June, berkeman wrote, “The pertinent UL standard for medical equipment is UL544”
Just do a Google search using the term “UL 544 ups” and many suitable commercial units and their standards appear.

Well, our device in development will be used on patients, and anything coming within 6 feet radius of a patient needs to have UL 60601-1. I believe that UL544 was withdrawn sometime in 2009 and replaced with UL 60601-1. The testing for this is much more stiffer, which is ultimately what gave me the decision to find one in a marketplace.

What is a Medical Grade UPS 3000VA?

A Medical Grade UPS 3000VA is an uninterruptible power supply that is designed specifically for use in medical environments. It is capable of providing backup power in case of a power outage, ensuring that medical equipment and devices continue to function without interruption.

What does it mean to meet UL 60601-1 requirements?

UL 60601-1 is a safety standard set by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for medical electrical equipment. Meeting these requirements means that the Medical Grade UPS 3000VA has been tested and certified to meet the strict safety standards necessary for use in medical settings.

Why is it important for a UPS to meet UL 60601-1 requirements?

In medical environments, the safety and reliability of electrical equipment is crucial. A UPS that meets UL 60601-1 requirements ensures that it has been designed and tested to function safely in the presence of patients and medical equipment, reducing the risk of electrical hazards and malfunctions.

What features should I look for in a Medical Grade UPS 3000VA?

When considering a Medical Grade UPS 3000VA, it is important to look for features such as surge protection, voltage regulation, and battery backup. These features help to ensure that the UPS can provide clean and reliable power to medical equipment, even during power fluctuations or outages.

Are there any specific regulations for using a Medical Grade UPS 3000VA?

Yes, there are specific regulations and guidelines for using a Medical Grade UPS 3000VA in medical settings. These may include guidelines from organizations such as the Joint Commission or specific regulations set by the facility or country in which it is being used. It is important to consult these regulations and guidelines when implementing a Medical Grade UPS 3000VA in a medical environment.