How is the hybridization type determined in relation to VSEPR theory?

In summary, the hybridization of an atom can be determined by counting the number of regions containing electrons, including bonding areas and unshared pairs. This can be done by using the s and p orbitals, with the superscripts adding up to the number of bonding regions. This is a general approach for carbon and can also be applied to nitrogen, but it is not a universal rule for all elements. Additionally, the idea of d orbital involvement in main group elements has been disproven.
Ammar Qasim
771403792.png

How could I know the hybridization type in such a question

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How do you determine hybridization in general?

If the atom have one bond with another, the hybridization type is SP3. If it's double-bonded, the hybridization type is SP2. If it's triple-bonded with another one, the hybridization type is SP.
Can I use this in less general cases?

I find that the simplest approach to determine hybridization is just to count the number of regions containing electrons. To clarify what I mean, a single bond, a lone pair, a double bond, a triple bond etc would each count as one. It helps to draw lewis structures of each compound, that way you can make sure you get the right number of lone pairs.

After you know the number of regions containing electrons, you know the hybridization! Just use the table below.

2 regions = sp
3 regions = sp2
4 regions = sp3

Borek said:
Thats true only for carbon, it is not a general approach. Many ways to skin that cat, see for example http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch8/hybrid.html

ZacharyM said:
I find that the simplest approach to determine hybridization is just to count the number of regions containing electrons. To clarify what I mean, a single bond, a lone pair, a double bond, a triple bond etc would each count as one. It helps to draw lewis structures of each compound, that way you can make sure you get the right number of lone pairs.

After you know the number of regions containing electrons, you know the hybridization! Just use the table below.

2 regions = sp
3 regions = sp2
4 regions = sp3

Thanks all, that was so useful. obviously letter B is the right answer

Why not also E?
Is BeCl2 in the gas phase or solid?
Does neutral ClO4 really exist?
I wonder who poses these brain dead exercises?

DrDu said:
Why not also E?
Is BeCl2 in the gas phase or solid?
Does neutral ClO4 really exist?
I wonder who poses these brain dead exercises?

In E. hybridization type is sp3 in NH3 & it is sp2 in SO2 so it is wrong
If BeCl2 is gas or solid, I don't think there would be a difference in the answer
ClO4, I think it is so hard for such a molecule to be found

You can argue that in SO2 S is also sp3 hybridized and that the somewhat larger bond angle is due to electrostatic repulslion of the oxygens. So you can equally well describe it with sp2 or sp3.
In the case of BeCl2, which is a solid at room temperature, Be is coordinated by 4 Cl atoms, so that a sp3 hybridization is also most natural.

Step 1: Count the number of bonding regions on the atom in question plus the number of unshared pairs of electrons.

Step 2: Beginning with the s orbital and working your way up, keep adding orbitals to the hybridization until the superscripts add to the number of bonding regions.

Ex. for methane, carbon has 4 bonding areas. Add the s orbital which gives you 1, and then all three p orbitals for 3, so you have sp3 hybridization.

Ex.2 For ammonia, you have 3 bonding areas, plus an unshared pair on the Nitrogen, so again, it is sp3.

Ex.3 For PCl5, the phosphorous has 5 bonding areas of electrons and 0 unshared pairs, so you add in the s orbital, 3 p orbitals, and 1 of the d orbitals for sp3d orbital.

Last edited:
Ammar Qasim said:
If the atom have one bond with another, the hybridization type is SP3. If it's double-bonded, the hybridization type is SP2. If it's triple-bonded with another one, the hybridization type is SP.
Can I use this in less general cases?

For carbon you can use this as a general rule. You can also use it for Nitrogen if you consider its unshared pair a bond.

These rules are more a variant of VSEPR theory.
epsaliba said:
Ex.3 For PCl5, the phosphorous has 5 bonding areas of electrons and 0 unshared pairs, so you add in the s orbital, 3 p orbitals, and 1 of the d orbitals for sp3d orbital.
Involution of d orbitals in main group elements has been disprooven since at least 50 years ago!

1. What is hybridization?

Hybridization refers to the process of combining two different species or genetic traits to create a new hybrid organism.

2. How does hybridization occur?

Hybridization can occur naturally through the mating of two different species or artificially through controlled breeding methods.

3. What are the benefits of hybridization?

Hybridization can result in offspring with desirable traits such as increased disease resistance, improved growth rate, and enhanced productivity.

4. What are some potential problems with hybridization?

One potential problem with hybridization is the loss of genetic diversity, which can make hybrid organisms more vulnerable to diseases and other environmental factors.

Additionally, some hybrid offspring may be sterile or have reduced fertility, making it difficult for them to reproduce and sustain their population.

5. How can problems in hybridization be addressed?

To address problems in hybridization, it is important to carefully select the parent species and monitor the health and fertility of the hybrid offspring. Proper management and genetic diversity conservation techniques can also help mitigate potential problems.