Solve Hydrostatics Problem & Draw FBD

• Thread starter AngelofMusic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrostatics
In summary, The speaker is facing difficulty in solving a problem involving hydrostatics and drawing the forces in the FBD. The speaker has provided a link to the original problem and their attempt at drawing the FBD. Their calculations for R(water) and R(mud) seem to be correct, but they are unable to get the joint at the intersection of A, B, and C to be in equilibrium. The same issue occurs at D, where the compression force only goes up vertically but there is also a horizontal component. The speaker is seeking suggestions on how to solve this problem and has made an assumption that A and D are set in at their base. They have provided a revised FBD as an example.
AngelofMusic
Hello,

I'm currently trying to solve a problem involving hydrostatics, but I'm getting stuck when it comes to drawing the forces in the FBD.

The original problem is here:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/466966/hydrostatics.jpg

This is my attempt at drawing the FBD:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/466966/fbd.jpg

My calculations:

R(water) = 187.3 kN
R(mud) = 644.7 kN

I think that should be correct.

However, once I isolated the joint at the intersection of A,B, and C, there is no way I can get the joint to be in equilibrium. (See the bottom right corner of my FBD).

The same problem occurs at D, where the compression force in member D only goes up vertically, but I also have a horizontal component to the reaction force at D.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have any hints/suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
However, once I isolated the joint at the intersection of A,B, and C, there is no way I can get the joint to be in equilibrium. (See the bottom right corner of my FBD).
You will need to assume that A and D are set in at their base (not hinged) so that they can support sideways forces.

Okay, so would the FBDs look something like this, then?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/466966/fbd2.jpg

What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest, specifically the pressure and forces exerted by fluids at rest.

How do you solve a hydrostatics problem?

To solve a hydrostatics problem, you need to use the principles of fluid pressure and equilibrium. This involves setting up equations based on the given information, such as the height and density of the fluid, and solving for the unknown variables using algebraic methods.

What is a free body diagram (FBD)?

A free body diagram (FBD) is a visual representation of all the forces acting on a body. It includes all external forces, such as gravity and applied forces, and internal forces, such as tension and compression, and helps to analyze the equilibrium of the body.

How do you draw a FBD for a hydrostatics problem?

To draw a FBD for a hydrostatics problem, you first need to identify the body or object in question and all the forces acting on it. Then, you can draw a simple diagram with arrows representing the direction and magnitude of each force, as well as label the forces and their corresponding variables.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving hydrostatics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving hydrostatics problems include not considering all the forces acting on the body, using the wrong equations or variables, and not checking for units consistency. It is also important to double-check your work and ensure that your final answer makes physical sense.