Finding Intersection of Curves: sin(x) and 2|x|/pi

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a finite region enclosed by the curves y = (2|x|)/π and y = sin(x), and the difficulty in finding the points of intersection between the two curves. The speaker suggests using observation to find the points of intersection, but acknowledges that a computer or special tables may be needed for a more accurate solution.
phospho
Calculate the are of the finite region enclosed by the curves ## y = \dfrac{2|x|}{\pi} ## and ## y = sin(x) ##

I understand that the integral is ## sin(x) - \dfrac{2x}{\pi} ## however I'm having troubles finding where they intersect, I can only find x= 0, how do I solve ## sin(x) = \dfrac{2x}{\pi} ## ? I can see by observation that 0, pi/2, -pi/2 work but is there a method to find these instead of observation?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi phospho! :smile:
phospho said:
I can see by observation that 0, pi/2, -pi/2 work but is there a method to find these instead of observation?

sorry, not without a computer or special tables :redface:

but what's wrong with observation? :wink:

Likes 1 person

1. What is the intersection of the curves sin(x) and 2|x|/pi?

The intersection of two curves is the point or set of points where the two curves meet or cross each other. In the case of the curves sin(x) and 2|x|/pi, the intersection points can be found by solving the equation sin(x) = 2|x|/pi.

2. How do you graph the curves sin(x) and 2|x|/pi to find their intersection?

To graph the curves sin(x) and 2|x|/pi, you can use a graphing calculator or software, or you can plot points by hand. Once both curves are graphed, you can visually determine the intersection points by looking for where the two curves intersect on the graph.

3. Can you find the intersection points algebraically?

Yes, the intersection points can be found algebraically by setting the equations for sin(x) and 2|x|/pi equal to each other and solving for x. However, this method may result in complex or irrational solutions, so it may be more efficient to use a graphing method to find the intersection points.

4. Are there multiple intersection points for these two curves?

Yes, there can be multiple intersection points for the curves sin(x) and 2|x|/pi. This is because both curves are periodic and have an infinite number of points where they intersect. The number of intersection points will depend on the interval or range of x values that you are considering.

5. What is the significance of finding the intersection of these two curves?

The intersection of two curves can have various implications depending on the context. In general, finding the intersection of two curves allows us to determine where two functions or relationships intersect and have the same value. This can be useful in solving equations, finding common solutions, and understanding the relationship between different variables or quantities.