Determining Basis and Coordinates in Two-Dimensional Space

In summary, the following sets of vectors form a basis for two-dimensional space: V1 = (1, 2), V2 = (3, 5). The coordinates of V = (8, 7) relative to this basis are (-19, 9).
winston2020
Question: Determine whether the following sets of vectors form bases for two-dimensional space. If a set forms a basis, determine the coordinates of V = (8, 7) relative to this base.

a) V1 = (1, 2), V2 = (3, 5).

On the first part of the question, I'm a little foggy on how I go about doing it.. I think I have to figure out if they're collinear right? And if they're not, then they can be used to define any other vector in two-dimensional space... is that right?

And so, if that's the case (I believe that they are not collinear), then how do I determine the coordinates of V = (8, 7)? Is it simply a matter of determining the end point of V relative to the base of V1, and V2 with the tails together?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case the problem is indeed whether or not they are collinear, but more generally the problem is to figure out whether they are independent. As for finding the coordinates of V relative to that basis, what do coordinates mean? The coordinates are two numbers a and b such that

V=aV1+bV2

But if you write this out, it is just a system of two equations in two unknowns, which you should be able to solve.

DeadWolfe said:
In this case the problem is indeed whether or not they are collinear, but more generally the problem is to figure out whether they are independent. As for finding the coordinates of V relative to that basis, what do coordinates mean? The coordinates are two numbers a and b such that

V=aV1+bV2

But if you write this out, it is just a system of two equations in two unknowns, which you should be able to solve.

Thank you. Given what you said, this is what I did:

V = aV1 + bV2
(8, 7) = a(1, 2) + b(3, 5)

Therefore:
8 = a + 3b
7 = 2a + 5b

After solving: a = -(19 / 5), and b = -(38 / 25).

The answer in the book simply says "Yes. (-19, 9)" Can anyone tell me what I'm missing, what I've done wrong here (maybe I just solved a, and b wrong...)?

You solved the system wrong. Try substituting a = 8 - 3b into the second equation.

Vid said:
You solved the system wrong. Try substituting a = 8 - 3b into the second equation.

:redface: Thanks. The first time I tried substituting b = (7-2(-19/5))/5 into a = 8 - 3b... I just screwed up the fractions. It's all good now though. Thanks everyone :smile:

What does it mean when two vectors define 2D space?

Two vectors define 2D space means that the combination of these two vectors can be used to represent any point in a two-dimensional space. These two vectors are typically perpendicular to each other and are known as the basis vectors of the 2D space.

How do two vectors define 2D space?

Two vectors define 2D space by serving as the basis vectors of the space. These two vectors are usually perpendicular to each other and can be used to represent any point in the two-dimensional space by combining their magnitudes and directions.

What are the properties of two vectors that define 2D space?

The properties of two vectors that define 2D space are that they are perpendicular to each other, they have different magnitudes, and they have different directions. These properties allow for a unique representation of any point in the two-dimensional space.

Can two non-perpendicular vectors define 2D space?

No, two non-perpendicular vectors cannot define 2D space. In order for two vectors to define 2D space, they must be perpendicular to each other. If the vectors are not perpendicular, then they cannot serve as the basis vectors for the 2D space.

How are two vectors related to the coordinate system in 2D space?

The two vectors that define 2D space are typically used to create the x and y axes of the coordinate system. The x-axis is usually defined by one of the vectors, while the y-axis is defined by the other vector. The combination of these two axes creates a grid system for representing points in the 2D space.